should my hand pump primer in line stay hard on mercury xri 220

kiwikoro

Recruit
seems to go flat have put in a new line and seems to let air in somwhere help pls

will941s

Chief Petty Officer
Re: should my hand pump primer in line stay hard on mercury xri 220

Start by checking every connection from your gas tank to your motor...and fittings on the motor it's self. Also make sure the vent to your gas tank is clear and open. Should have a free flowing vent to the tank (all the way open), and no leaks at all in the lines.

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer

Do you mean that it is flattening out or that it is simply getting soft once the engine is running? If it simply gets softer than when you used it to prime your carburetor(s) then it's not a problem. If it is being sucked flat then I'd worry about the possibility of something stopping up the pick up tube or fuel line before the bulb. Hopefully I'm understanding your question correctly....

kiwikoro

Recruit

No its not flattening out, but seems to go soft pretty quick after primming whether motor running or not.. p.s. its a xri 89 so injected cheers derek

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer

I'm not familiar with injected engines but if it were carbureted I would think the needle valve is letting it leak down. As long as the bulb is getting hard and it's running good I wouldn't worry about it. The only thing I know to check is if there is a fuel leak in the system when you pump up the bulb til it is hard then squeeze it. Check valve in the tank could be letting the pressure relieve. I've never seen one stay hard after a couple of minutes since priming. In the engines I'm familiar with the only purpose of the bulb is to fill the bowl of the carburetor so you don't run your battery down and wear out your starter using the vacuum of the engine to pull gas to the carburetor.

j_martin

Admiral

It doesn't need to stay hard, but it shouldn't need several pumps before the next day. There's 2 check valves in the primer bulb itself that often get bad.

During normal running, it'll be soft, but should not collapse. If you shut off the engine, first squeeze should firm it right up. If it doesn't you have a leak or a bad primer bulb or both. Usually it's best to replace the whole fuel line/primer assembly at once.

hope it helps
John

madgadget

Petty Officer 1st Class

In theory once the vapour separator (I think that's what it is called) - swirl pot by other standards :) is full then you shouldn't actually need to prime that engine at all.

It just needs enough fuel to supply the high pressure side of the system. And no, that bulb will not stay hard. That's totally normal.

How do you find the engine by the way? I have the same one and still have yet to give it a proper blast :)

kiwikoro

Recruit

great very fast and responsive... is it a 20 or 25" leg anyone know cheers in advance

madgadget

Petty Officer 1st Class

You need to measure it to be sure. From where it hangs on the transom to the large plate above the prop (cavitation plate)

kiwikoro

Recruit

hi again my next prob is motor goes hard at speed but bogs at low rpm worse when hot seems to miss and blow smoke doesnt smoke at higher rpm new fuel line and stators???