1968 mercury 50hp lower cowl question?

mitch_houser

Cadet
Having problems getting my gearing back in sync after a water pump replacement.I can get it to go foward only and neautral but no reverse.The shift linkage feel out while trying to see what direction the shaft would turn the bottom gear shaft.I can see that there looked like a set screw was on the top of the shaft.With every thing in place I can put my fingers on the shaft and feel it move when I go inot foward but seems like its just not moving when I go into reverse.I'm asking if the bottom cowl can be removed so I can see the linkage I think thats where my problem is on crowley marine schematics it shows the bottom cowl and th elinkage but is this a easy remove to just see?Oh one more thing I've tryed the gear shift in forward and in neatral putting the lower unit back on with the gear on lower unit in one or other direction just no luck so far should the gear on lower unit be in neatral and the hand control when putting back?Thanks in advance Mitch

merc850

Commander
Re: 1968 mercury 50hp lower cowl question?

Try doing this before you take off the bottom cowl: Turn the LU shift shaft by hand counter-clockwise until it
stops, then with Vise Grips tight on the bottom of the shaft turn it a
few more degrees CCW until it clicks into a stop, this
should be neutral - check by turning propshaft --
do not shift into reverse unless you turn the propshaft at the same time.
If it is in N go ahead and attach LU to driveshaft housing with control in N.

mitch_houser

Cadet

Let me ask you this if the LU is in reverse will the prop not turn in either direction?And I've had it what I thought was neutral I could free spin prop seems to me like it is missing a positon if I turn it one way the prop locks and will turn in counter clock wise I think I need to be looking at it to tell you for sure but anywho the other position it will free spin but your saying I need to put vise grips and turn it more?

MercMan82

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The driveshaft always turns clockwise. If you turned the driveshaft clockwise while inserting the impeller then the prop will turn in reverse. Make sure the impellers' fins are bent the right way. Then if you put in reverse and turn the driveshaft clockwise, the prop will turn in reverse, click in fwd and turn the driveshaft clockwise and the prop will go the other way. Once your good put it in neutral and make sure the controls are in neutral and raise L/U.

mitch_houser

Cadet

Merc man thanks for the responce .Looks like I've got a problem I just droped the LU and did what you said I found reverse I guess thats good and I did install the impeller while turning the shaft clockwise I even wrote it down to remind me of it so I know thats right.looking at the prop like it sit on the boat I turn the shaft while what I take is forward and it turns clockwise put it in neutral and prop trys to go in reverse but its really just free spinning so there again thats good then I take my vise grips and turn shaft CCW I hit reverse and I turn the shaft CW it moves CW still what now the onlt thing that was taken apart was the water pump houseing new gaskets plate cover impeller thats it bcak together .Not understanding whats going on????

mitch_houser

Cadet

Mercman and merc 850 I hope thats right got it back together today and got it to shift differntly now when I push throttle handle forward prop goes one direction then back to neautral it stops then In reverse it goes the other direction so if all holds well tomorrow will take it out if it works in the wrong way I'll drop L/U again I know where the shift shaft was and I know where the throttle was I'll just leave throttle like I had it today and move shift shaft the other way should be right then But Im thinking it s right but always like to plane ahead Thanks for all the help and ,it's like capt Ron always said if its going to happen its going to happen out there till the next crises thanks Mitch

mitch_houser

Cadet

View attachment 118923View attachment 118924View attachment 118925Well as fate would have it I got it in backwards so I thought was going to be a easy reverse fit I have put on and removed L/U i cant count how many times it willl go together really easy but after its bolted up you shift into forward and thats all you get forward you can go back into neautral but it stays in gear I think its the shaft extention from the shift shaft up top where the cables will move it im sending a pic hope you can futher instuct on what I might need to try.the pics are of the shaft extention that has a little flat on it looks like set screw ws on it at one time but there is no way to get to it unless you drop the shaft from the top the black plastis whatever u call it as it sit s thats the way it goes up in the L/u with that shaft?

Last edited: