changing impellar on 1963 mercury 500

brianis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
so the more i read the more i wonder about my water pump i have never got a stream out of it it spits and sputters never overheats but does force water out of front on motor (in pic water does squirt out of these seals were the red arrow points in pic leading me to think some kind of blockage) but how do i get to the water pump do i loosen the bolts were the yellow arrow points what should i expect to fall out that kind of stuff. sorry about the link some reason pics never post.

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i376/brianishmael/starcraftimpellarfix.jpg

FLATHEAD MAC

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: changing impellar on 1963 mercury 500

sounds like blockage fer sure. you must drop LU to get to water pump. when was last time changed. good insurance to change anyhow. i have a 74 merc and there are 4 nuts and 1 bolt to remove. 2 nuts at front of motor , one just infront of the trim tab/anode, 1 bolt holding trin tab, then 1 nut under trim tab. just be sure to put control in forward. as fer blockage take a piece of weed eater line and probe the tell tale(pee hole) , or back blow air thru tell tale to clear any thing between TT and water pump. With LU off of course. mothing should fall out good luck, btw you got a service manual ?

brianis

Petty Officer 3rd Class

no service manual and ive never changed it just got the boat about a month ago

MercMan82

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Buy ya manual for sure. Once you get the L/U off, blow compressed air up the water tube into the motor and feel with your hand to see if there is good pressure coming out the pee hole. More than likely you will need a water pump kit and impeller if not the water pump housing as well.

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If there is a piece of broken off impeller or something else clogging the water passage blowing air up INTO the water tube can force it in further and make the problem much worse. Instead blow air into the PEE hole and see if it comes out the pick up tube.By doing this you will blow out any trash to the direction in which it came in. Trash always goes into the engine by moving UP the water tube,

brianis

Petty Officer 3rd Class

will do thanks guys

brianis

Petty Officer 3rd Class

so pulled the lower unit off to check this impellar so the impellar is rubber and fits tight all the pics i have seen are metal impellars whats the deal it looks as if its in grt shape how can i tell if its bad
http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i376/brianishmael/starcraftimpellar2.jpg

so when i pull the impellar out the tips are bent every pic of new ones i see they are straight so im assuming that it is bad

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Lower unit impellers are always rubbery material. Pop the impeller out of the housing. If it is stays curled replace it. Actually, replace it anyway while you have it apart. because then you know it's good and will last at least 2 years which is how often they should be changed. Some folks change every year, two years or some simply wait until the motor overheats.

While the L/U is dropped might as well pressure test. You should be draining and replacing the lube any way. My 2 cents.

brianis

Petty Officer 3rd Class

they are bent so it needs replaced gonna order one also what gear oil do i need to use in this lower unit

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I use Quicksilver (from Mercury) quarts and get a gear lube pump too