2005 merc 50hp efi outboard starving for fuel

skidoo50

Recruit
I have a 2005 merc 50hp efi outboard on a 22' pontoon. The motor is running out of gas while going slow or WOT. I have changed the check valve on the tank, new OEM gas line and bulb, fuel/water seperator,and checked the gas pickup for cracks. Still does the same thing. While I was winterizing the boat I noticed the motor would start to tick slightly before it would starve for gas. Sort of like a valvetrain tick. But if I squeeze the primer bulb slightly the noise goes away. Fuel pump?? Can you rebuild them? Also there is a small screw at the bottom of the pump. Is that a drain screw for the pump? It has never been removed or drained since I owned the boat. Could this be part of my problem? Any help would be appreciated. Thank, Mark

slablifter

Recruit
Re: 2005 merc 50hp efi outboard starving for fuel

Did you resolve your issue with fuel starvation ? I have the same exact problem with my 50hp of about the same age.

Re: 2005 merc 50hp efi outboard starving for fuel

I have a very similar problem with one of my twin motors Mercury EFI 90. It beeps then stalls at Idle or low speed then if I restart it is starved for fuel if pump the bulb it runs. Motor has less than 100 hrs on it and had to replace the fuel pump probably because it kept running dry.