2004 Mercury 115 ELPT Lower Unit Removal

eavega

Lieutenant
Need some words of advice and/or encouragement. I am pretty familiar with Johnson/Evinrudes, but now am helping out a friend with the above motor. We are trying to get the Lower Unit off so we can change out the clutch dog. I've removed the four nuts under the anti-cav plate, and the one lock nut under the anode. The lower will not budge a millimeter. Now, with J/E motors, I would instantly assume a shift rod connection that has not been undone, but the Merc manual says nothing about such a connection. This motor was a salt water motor and I don't have a maintenance history on it so I don't know the last time the lower was off. I don't know if salt water usage would somehow cause the lower to adhere to the rest of the leg. I am trying not to use brute force because I don't want to break anything inside the leg, but I am at a loss as to how to get the LU off. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Rgds

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2004 Mercury 115 ELPT Lower Unit Removal

One nut at front of L/U near the shift rod. Two just back that attach on top. Two more under the plate. Remove anode for the 5th and one more underneath where the anode came off. You noted 5- there are 6.

eavega

Lieutenant

Okay, am I looking at the wrong Manual? Here is what i have...

MercLU.JPG

That only shows the four nuts, and the locknut that runs through the anode.

Rgds

eavega

Lieutenant

Still looking for some help here. If anyone knows about any fasteners aside from the ones listed in diagram attached in the previous post, I would really appreciate some guidance.

Rgds

Applesoss

Recruit

Take a rubber mallet and while jiggling tap the unit down. I had the same problem. There should only be the five bolts. I have a 2003 115 ELPTO
Good luck.
Jeff

eavega

Lieutenant

Thanks so much for the confirmation. I will try the "tap-and-jiggle" method and see if that loosens it up.

Rgds

zen0414

Recruit

I have a 2005 Mercury 115 ELPT4S and I have the same problem with the lower unit. It just won't drop.

Did the "tap and jiggle" method eventually work?

I've removed the (5) nuts eavega discussed sprayed some PB blaster around the remaining bolts. I've been hitting just above the anode bolt right above the prop. I'm thinking there has to be something I'm missing.

I've read it doesn't matter if the drive is in F-N-R. Is this true?

Thanks!

mati1

Recruit

I would appreciate if you can let us know if you managed to remove the lower unit and how you did it.
I 'm strugling to remove the lu on my mercury 115efi 4s 2009 model .the unit looks identical to the picture shown on the previous thread.
Waiting for a reply.please assist

eavega

Lieutenant

Hey

I was doing this for a friend. I was never able to get the LU off of the motor. My friend eventually took the motor to a mechanic. He was able to get the LU off (apparently). Next time I cross paths with my buddy I'll ask him what the secret was.

Rgds

mati1

Recruit

Thank you for your prompt reply Eric.
Look forward for further info.
Alexandros

zen0414

Recruit

I have a 2005 Mercury 115 ELPT4S and I have the same problem with the lower unit. It just won't drop.

Did the "tap and jiggle" method eventually work?

I've removed the (5) nuts eavega discussed sprayed some PB blaster around the remaining bolts. I've been hitting just above the anode bolt right above the prop. I'm thinking there has to be something I'm missing.

I've read it doesn't matter if the drive is in F-N-R. Is this true?

Thanks!

We were finally able to separate the lower unit. Turns out it was corroded above the anode where the upper and lower unit come apart. We were able to force the separation by placing a small block of metal below one of the nuts on each side of the lower unit. The block fit snugly in that ~1" space between the bolt and the lower unit. Once the nut reached the bottom of the bolt it began to put pressure on the metal block. We had one on each side. This method slowed began to separate the two units!

We are guessing that the salt air from South Carolina, where the boat was from caused the units to seize together.

Hope that helps someone.