Starter or Solenoid?

93LundProV

Cadet
I have a 40hp merc. and now within the last few weeks i was on the lake and went to start my motor and it kept turning with the key in off, and i had to disconnect the power at the battery. A hour and a half later no problem. The other day now i was way up the river and went to start the motor and it was taking a little while to start (regular for the motor) after a few times turning the key it just stopped working would not turn the motor no more just a suttle click noise when turned to start. Any ideas whats causing these issues??

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Starter or Solenoid?

Probably 95% of all starter problems is electrical. Is the battery fully charged? Check all your connections. They must be very clean and tight. Check the lugs very closely for any signs of corrosion. They can corrode inside where you can't see it and cause the problem you are having. If you know how to do a voltage drop test you could check them that way. Another way would be to temporally substitute the cables with jumper cables. If all the cables have been confirmed good, try jumping the starter solenoid. Just because it clicks does NOT mean its good. If you are sure the solenoid is good have your battery load tested, regardless of age. This brings you to the starter itself. Remove it and have it tested by your local auto electric shop. They can rebuild it for you if needed and save you some money. Let us know how you make out.