1967 65hp mercury water pump replacement ?

bunky28

Cadet
I would like to replace water pump but I need help on how to do it.any information would be greatly appreciated.

merc850

Commander
Re: 1967 65hp mercury water pump replacement ?

Here's the factory diagramLower-Unitsdriveshaft.jpg just undo the nuts that hold the pump cover on then remove flush screw on side of LU, then pry up the WP base to replace the seals inside. Remember which way the lips are facing and use Loctite on the edges of metal frame of the seals when installing new ones.
When installing impeller put it on the driveshaft with drive pin in place (use anti-corrosion grease on shaft where impeller sits) then put some dish soap in pump liner and twist driveshaft clockwise while pushing pump cover down on top of it. Lightly grease sides of driveshaft/shiftshaft splines with multi-purpose lube.

bunky28

Cadet

I still don"t know how to remove the lower unit. can you help?

merc850

Commander

Undo bolt that holds the trim tab on (12pt or 5/16 Allen head), remove the bolt under Trim tab,remove nuts on underside,remove nut at front top of LU, loosen the nuts at the top side of
LU and alternately undo them until LU drops onto something soft.

bunky28

Cadet

do i have to do anything to the shifting rod?

merc850

Commander

No it is a splined shaft that fits into a splined socket. Don't pull the shiftshaft out of the lower unit or you'll have to take LU apart to fix it.