1949 Mercury KF-5 " Super 5" Outboard- 2 plugs per cylinder, tool in handle!

secretariatslew

Seaman Apprentice
1949 Mercury KF-5 " Super 5" Outboard- 2 plugs per cylinder, tool in handle!

I picked up this Mercury motor and looked up the serial number in Peter Hunn's Old Outboard Book. Found it to be a KF-5, and one of the first couple hundred that were produced in its inaugural year of 1949. There were a couple of interesting things I noticed while trying to de-grime it.

1. The grip is threaded and can be removed to reveal a hidden blade head screwdriver.
2. There are 4 plugs attached to this 2 cylinder motor, and it was built that way. I assume 2 of them are spares, but not sure- I didn't take them out yet. I have heard of wierd things such as the Zephyr, an OMC created 4 cylinder 5hp outboard.

Are these features stock? I didn't see any pictures of other Super 5's with 4 plugs. Also, is there a comprehensive modern source for information on this motor? (ala Tom's old evinrude page).I have heard that the older Mercury's are known for crazy engineering, so I want to learn as much as I can before going any further.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1949 Mercury KF-5 " Super 5" Outboard- 2 plugs per cylinder, tool in handle!

Re: 1949 Mercury KF-5 " Super 5" Outboard- 2 plugs per cylinder, tool in handle!

Yes, the screwdriver was standard on those models with the dzus fasteners on the cowling. And, yes, the two offset threaded holes in the head cover are for spare plugs. Pretty clever if you ask me, particularly back in the days of richer oil mixes using automotive oils and varying gas quality. Not sure if it actually came with extra plugs or not.

Good Merc sites:
oldmercs.com
johnsoldmercurysite.com

I recently picked up a parts motor KF5 myself. Not sure what I'm going to do with it... I have another complete one and it is a strong runner for a little bugger...

Attachments

• MercuryKF5_0375.jpg
    MercuryKF5_0375.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 2

merc850

Commander

Here's what dealers saidPage-5.jpg(the KF5 became the Mark 5 in the fifties.)

secretariatslew

Seaman Apprentice

Here's what dealers saidView attachment 115938(the KF5 became the Mark 5 in the fifties.)

this link leads to a story about a Mercury van, waterskiing, and women's speedboat racing- must be the wrong page

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Scroll down - there's a cartoon featuring the Mark 5...

secretariatslew

Seaman Apprentice

Okay, thanks. haha. Another couple questions-

So parts for the Mark 5 are interchangeable with the KF-5, and the only real difference is the neutral cable in the Mark model?

and secondly- It seems like the OMC Lightwins were the no frills blue collared version of these Merc's with a bulked up/better lower unit? Agree?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

The Mark 5s and KF5s, though similar in outward appearance, were actually quite different. All KF5s had a Bendix-Scintilla magneto, while most of the Mark 5s got the Phelon mag (which I prefer). The powerheads are pretty similar. Recoils are different (to accommodate the neutral shift latch) and the lower units are very different (shift mechanism and waterpump location). The Mark 5 then evolved into the Mark 6, which added remote fuel tank and twist-grip throttle. I think the Mark 5 shares more with the Mark 6 than it does with the KF5...

mchin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you're like most of us, you'll end up with a motor and a half, or two and a half motor like I have. The lower units are weak in my opinion and often suffer from cracking, typically from water entering the LU, freezing and cracking. I love em and easier to work on then the Mark 6.

secretariatslew

Seaman Apprentice

This motor has been a breeze so far considering I got it for free, it looks to be unmolested, and it turns over nicely, but yeah a parts motor would be nice. I couldn't do much today with my gaskets and flywheel tool in route from oldmercs.com, so I took to cleaning. I disassembled the carb, soaked it in mineral spirits, and washed the fuel tank out with a little draino. Next up, inspect the lower unit.

Do I need another special tool to get into the gearcase? It looks like there is a threaded cover behind the prop that could potentially be backed out if I had the right tool.

DSCN8057.jpg

DSCN8059.jpg

Last edited:

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Personally, unless you have reason to believe the gears, seals or bearings are questionable - like water/metal in the grease or noisy when spun over - I would leave the unit as it. Refill it with Lubriplate 105 grease, install a new impeller, and call it good.

If you do want to get that apart, you don't need a puller. Just put the propshaft in a wood-blocked vice. Heat up the gear housing with a proplane torch fore of the waterpump cartridge. Rest the driveshaft against your hip and gently tap the skeg away from the propshaft using a plastic or wooden mallet. The propshaft, impeller housing and gear should slide out. Keep track of which side is up on the pump housing as it will not work if it is inverted.

secretariatslew

Seaman Apprentice

Since I do not have a vice or torch handy, I had to improvise. I drilled a hole in a 2x4 and pushed the propshaft through the hole. I then secured a washer and nut to the propshaft on top of the wood. Next, I wrapped a towl around the lower unit and pushed the prop shaft out using leg power against the 2x4. Sure enough it worked.

I am having a tough time getting the propshaft seal out though. I can't exactly tap it out from the backside because the impeller housing is in the way. The old one looked fine, but I like the peace of mind knowing that I am not using 60 year old rubber.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

The seal should pry out with a screwdriver. Just go slow and work your way around so you don't damage the pump housing.

secretariatslew

Seaman Apprentice

Okay- I did get the seal out... the same time that I broke the pump housing. Someone was selling a lower unit for $15 plus free shipping so I bought that on Ebay. My plan is to use the housing out of that and possibly go deeper to see the bearings, gears and all that so my curiosity doesn't ruin my good motor.

Anyways I also started working on the magneto. I think the two coils are still good which is awesome because those are $50 ea. I tested them with a multimeter and got no resistance for the main winding and 4-something Ohms for both fine windings while my new OMC coil is at 6-7. I have no standard to compare to but they seem good. The rest of the components are cheap and I found a source for $25 points http://www.laingsoutboards.com/newpage4.htm and $4 condensors at http://www.vintageoutboard.com/MBatteryIgnition/MERCIgnition_1.html.

View attachment 118045View attachment 118046View attachment 118047