1974, 1150 Merc Lower Cowel Question

LFR

Cadet
Well I have the motor all disconnected & ready to come off the boat, (clamped only)
I just noticed the lower cowel is just rubbing the paint off the top of the plug on the tilt cylinder, and a small portion of the clamp bracket. (starbord side only)
Wondering why that could be and is there an easy adjustment (LOL)

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1974, 1150 Merc Lower Cowel Question

The lower cowl should not do that. It should be held pretty solidly by the upper cowling support.

LFR

Cadet

thought so - the port side has about .075 gap, however looks like it was rubbing at one time.
the lower cowel seems to be bolted firmly to the engine lugs.
have a couple pics that will show this better that i can discribe.

Attachments

• c PortSide side view - lower cowel 004.jpg
    c PortSide side view - lower cowel 004.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 0
  • c PortSide Top Veiw - lower cowel 003.jpg
    c PortSide Top Veiw - lower cowel 003.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 0
  • c StarbSide side view - lower cowel 002.JPG
    c StarbSide side view - lower cowel 002.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 0
  • c StarbSide Top View - lower cowel 001.jpg
    c StarbSide Top View - lower cowel 001.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 0

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The lower cowl actually is not bolted to anything but the upper cowl support. If you remove the 4 bolts in the rear of the lower cowl and the two in the front of the lower cowl, it will flop around real good. It does not come off, until you pull the powerhead.
Maybe it is not fitted to the bottom of the powerhead properly? Maybe the trim brackets are bent up?

cr2k

Captain

Could also be the pivot bushings (as in L and R) for the motor are worn.

LFR

Cadet

Thanks CR, i was thinking along those lines also
My thought was the pivoting (steering) bearings top/bottom?
Your thought makes alot of sence.
While on the boat i cant get any movment i can detect however this thing is so heavy i may need some spinach.

It is totaly disconnected for removal at the moment. Wanted to see if lifting a couple degrees of tilt would make a diferance as it is at max down position, not actually a running position. - beyond the last tilt lock pin hole location (overlaping last hole closest to the transom on the bracket) {Which Could Be the Issue?}

Tomorrrow I will have it suspended from the lifting ring & should be able to man handle the clamp assembly.

So to recap: while suspended, torque on the clamp bracket - checking Left & Right (up/down) bearings of clamp.
And try to generate some movment on the center stem (for turning) and see if the upper and lower bearings have any movment (other than turning).

Please let me know if i have this correct as the engine puller will be rented and would like to do any checks before i return the puller.

Thanks for the help!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

You ought to be able to see if you have any play in the upper bushing by pushing on the powerhead. Likewise pull out on the lower unit to check for play in the lower bushing and lower motor mounts.

gee, even turning the steering wheel ought to reveal play in the upper bushing, I would think.

LFR

Cadet

hello Chris, i noticed no "play" when everything was connected. (on the trailer)
never noticed untill the tilt hoses were disconnected and in the max down position.
now the steering wheel is off and splashwell mounted cable is disconnected.
i will man-handle the power head and lower unit this evening to see what i can find
thank you
any thoughts are welcome