Water in 3 cylinders

HAS

Petty Officer 2nd Class
MY 1985 5Ohp. 4cyl. Mercury stopped running after running more then an hour at about 1500rpm.
I tried to start it when I got home, it ran very bad for about 10 seconds, after that it would not start.
I removed the spark plugs, #1 plug looked ok, #2,3,and4 are clean as new. I replaced the
exhaust plate last November, is there something I might have missed?. I knew the pistons and
cylinder walls were scarred pretty bad and it would soon need to be overhauled, I started to take it
apart but don't have a clue what to look for. The cylinders will have to be bored for oversize pistons.
I appreciate and thank you for any and all help............HAS

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Water in 3 cylinders

Sounds like water intrusion. You replaced the exhaust baffle and it's gaskets? Did you look at the inner water jacket cover? That can leak as well.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

While apart, check the exhaust cover for any warp, a flat file or piece of sand-paper on a piece of glass should show and warp which would contribute to poor sealing of the inner plate and gaskets.

HAS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Chris1956 & CharlieB
Thanks Guys I have started working on the exhaust cover, looks better already, might
be able to finish tomorrow............THANKS AGAIN ..........HAS