Video of inline 6 and Black Max engines at Mercury Films Festival

CWKboat

Petty Officer 1st Class
In the past 4-5 years, I have received numerous helps and suggestions from this forum concerning the restoration, upkeep, and maintenance of my '75 150 HP, '87 115 HP, and '87 Black Max featured in this video contest sponsored by Mercury Marine. Each boat was a "project" and I consulted with this forum frequently at various steps.

The video is posted below at Mercury Films. If you enjoy the video, please click "Love it" and leave a comment if you feel led. Thanks for looking and also for the help over the years from this forum. I think the video captures a lot of the spirit of Mercury and why we enjoy the classic engines and boating.

http://mercfilms.com/contests/showentry/884027

mr 88

Commander
Re: Video of inline 6 and Black Max engines at Mercury Films Festival

Nice video,couldn't log on to vote.I am sure you know that the 115 in 1987/88 was pretty much the L6 150 .Merc did not want to compete with there 150 V-6 so they just badged the 150 as a 115,a wolf in sheep's clothing.

CWKboat

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice video,couldn't log on to vote.I am sure you know that the 115 in 1987/88 was pretty much the L6 150 .Merc did not want to compete with there 150 V-6 so they just badged the 150 as a 115,a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Oh yeah, great point! The '87 115 has the ADI igntion and integral trim, but I swear that old 1500 seams to scream just a little more at 5500-5800 RPMs! Without a doubt the coolest outboards ever made before or since!

mr 88

Commander

Have you rebuilt either motor or are they original? I have a 1966 1100ss original that runs flawlessly.Low low hours on her.Getting ready to build a 79 140 shorty into a 150.Going with high dome pistons and will blue print her out.She will replace the 1100 on a 15'Power Cat that weighs in around 400lbs.So I am looking forward to winter as the journey is as fun as the end result.I will be asking Santa for goggles this Christmas.

CWKboat

Petty Officer 1st Class

Both were rebuilt by Clams Canino if you remember him from a few years back being one of the Merc gurus here. I took the powerheads off and drove down to his shop about an hour away, and he rebuilt the 1500 in 2004, and the 115 in May 2010, and then I reinstalled. Other than that, I just replaced the wiring harness on the 1500 with a CDI one and then replaced the trim motor on the 115.

I painted the 1500 cowl and used aftermarket decals. Like Clams used to say, it's still the lightest, most efficent way to get 115 at the prop!

ThumbPkr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do you have the vid without the alternative sound track?Ron G

CWKboat

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do you have the vid without the alternative sound track?Ron G

I'm the driver and owner of the boats. My friend/videographer wearing the hat and talking in the video spliced everything together with the music to jazz it up for the contest, so I know of course that we have the individual clips, but not sure if he has it from beginning to end without the music. Will consult with him hopefully today and find out!

ThumbPkr

Petty Officer 1st Class

It would be great to hear the engines and ambient sounds that the camera picked up while recording those great engines doing their thing,thanks.That video did not need "jazzing up".
Thanks for sharing and enjoy those great Mercs.Ron G

CWKboat

Petty Officer 1st Class

It would be great to hear the engines and ambient sounds that the camera picked up while recording those great engines doing their thing,thanks.That video did not need "jazzing up".
Thanks for sharing and enjoy those great Mercs.Ron G

Ron G,

Found some what you are looking for with the raw video: This set is the '87 115 from beautiful Lake Jocassee in upstate SC in 10/10 as the leaves were starting to change.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49944878@N02/sets/72157625178697897/with/5143330569/

This one gives maybe the best sound of the Merc's power and Doppler effect:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49944878@N02/5143330569/in/set-72157625178697897/#

Here's the Black Max in action from 7/3/11. Boat is a 2002 Larson 210. Love the V-6, although nothing compares to an inline 6 for coolness as we know.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49944878@N02/sets/72157627085369005/

Sorry I don't have a link for the 2009 videos of the '75 1500 - my personal favorite and one that gave me a terminal case of "Merc fever!" Hope you enjoy the videos!

ThumbPkr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I watched them all,great vids and a great camera too.Thanks,Ron G

CWKboat

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Ron, I let the camera man know and he was pleased with the feedback. Nothing sounds like an inline at full noise!

ThumbPkr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 650 on my "69 JetFlite and I agree,they sound great.I would love to have a six cylinder back there but mine is pretty good on fuel so will keep it for the time being.I put power trim on it and have not gotten it back in the water yet after rebuilding the hull last summer.Ron G

CWKboat

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 650 on my "69 JetFlite and I agree,they sound great.I would love to have a six cylinder back there but mine is pretty good on fuel so will keep it for the time being.I put power trim on it and have not gotten it back in the water yet after rebuilding the hull last summer.Ron G

You sound like me with those three boats in the video: It's great to have more than one project boat, so when one is off the water being worked on, you can use the other one(s)! I got all of them pretty cheap. I wound up sharing/"selling" the 78 Checkmate/'87 115 HP with/to my brother to keep it in the family because you can only use one at a time. The Cobia with the mid 70's Merc I6 is in process of getting a new transom if I can get the time to finish it before the cold weather arrives.

I use the Larson now with the Black Max, but if you thought the inlines used fuel...