1987 75 hp mariner problems

dewaltman

Recruit
hello, i bought a 75 hp mariner motor. it had recently been rebuilt but has several other problems. the first thing i done was checked the compression. all 3 cylinders had 120 psi. next, i cleaned all 3 carbs. then i started on the electrical. the number 1 & 3 coil had good fire but the number 2 was dead. i replaced the coil, put new plug wires and plugs on it. now all 3 coils have no fire. i checked the fire at the coils in case the wires were a problem. the guy that owned it before me removed the automatic oiler and had been into the wiring harness and had taken other hoses loose and plugged them off. i rewired the motor thinking that may be the problem but it didn't help. i took both kill wires loose from the switch box, still no fire. i installed a new rectifier thinking it may have a short, still no fire. the solid red & blue wires from the stator are both puting out voltage when the motor is crancking. I'm not sure what the voltage should be so that may be the problem. it acts like nothing is coming through the switch box, but the switch box is new. i then took the 2 yellow wires loose going from the stator to the rectifier and the solid red and blue wire loose from the switch box. i checked the resistance between the red and blue wires and keep getting unstable readings. between the blue wire and the ground is a stable 112. i didn't remove the flywheel and i'm not sure if that would affect the reading. i've heard these motors are known for stator trouble. another strange thing is that before i replaced the wiring harness i installed a new key switch. i had the switch in my hand cranking the motor and got shocked. as soon as i started getting shocked the motor started. it felt like 110 volts so i couldn't hold it. as soon as i let go the engine stopped. the first thing i thought was that i had wired the new switch wrong and while holding it i had jumped the battery lead to another wire. i made a test lead with a .5 amp fuse and crossed the battery lead to every lead on the switch and it either blew the fuse or did nothing. i figured it may have been a coincidence that whatever is wrong, like an electrical problem may have started working for a brief second while i was trying to start it and i just got some current from it. i'm not sure what to try next and would greatly appreciate any help i could get. there is also a rubber hose coming from the front bottom front of the crank case, below the carbs and it is just hanging there. every time you crank the motor it blows a fuel/oil mixture out the tube all over the side of the motor. there is a barbed fitting at the front top of the crank case just below the flywheel with nothing on it. could that be where it goes? i was afraid the top barbed fitting may have something to do with the spark advance and didn't want to put the hose on it until i was sure. thanks again for any advise you could give.