2011 Merc 115Hp 4 Stroke water pressure gauge install

Bart Man

Recruit
I looked at the service manual and it shows the plug I need to remove is by the oil stick. However, the picture in the service manual does not look the same as my motor. I see no plug that looks like the one in the service manual that I am supposed to remove to install the water pressure gauge tube. Does anyone have a good pic of where it should go? Thanks.

GAV10

Cadet
Re: 2011 Merc 115Hp 4 Stroke water pressure gauge install

Bart,

I'm trying to do the same thing. Did you come up with a solution to your problem? Any idea where the tube connects?

Thanks...Mark

Bart Man

Recruit

Mark,

No solution yet. I was thinking of stopping by a Merc certified dealership with a dozen donuts and seeing if they would show me. I would have to think any Merc mechanic could tell me since it is the same port that they would use to hook up and test water pressure. Let me know if you find out earlier.

Thanks, Bart

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Hi Bart. The pics below show where the fitting is and a pic of the plug that was removed and the new fitting. The Mercury part number you need is: 22-896094A01 Lagree Fitting for 2-40 PSI- Water pressure. The water line used for this is the small plastic type, rather than the larger rubber type many use. Make sure to get the gauge that matches. Hope this helps..

Plug and fitting:

FittingandplugMedium.jpg

Port:

portnolineMedium.jpg

Fitting and water pressure line installed in motor:

lineconnectedMedium.jpg

Bart Man

Recruit

Excellent instructions, Thanks Rick! I will give it a go tomorrow.

cloumar

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Rick,

Is this the location suggested or recommended by Mercury ? I thought a pressure sensor will go on the engine head, I could be wrong.

MC

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Yes, that is the location recommended by Mercury. The are other ports on the engine that might serve other purposes, but this one works perfect for the water pressure.

topglock

Seaman Apprentice

Rick,

Very nice instructions. The threads on the plug and fitting appear to be different. Can you please verify that they will work. I'd hate to screw up the threads in my block.

Thanks,
Jeff

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

The fitting fits perfectly. Picture probably throws it off..

topglock

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks. Just a little worried about it...
Any suggestions on a supplier? Only one I found was over $15.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

I got mine from the Merc dealer. Don't recall what it costs, but $15 is probably close..

topglock

Seaman Apprentice

Rick,

Found the fitting online for $10 and $2 shipping. One more question. I'm looking to connect to the current gauge with a line that has been cut at the transom. It's a larger line with no way to get it into the fitting. Do you know what the line size is for the fitting? Would it be the same as a standard oil pressure line that is found in common auto gauges? I'm assuming that the line simply pushes into the fitting. Am I wrong?

Thanks,
Jeff

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

I don't recall the size of the line, but yes, it just pushes into the fitting and locks in. It is the hard plastic type line, rather than the rubber type many use. You could take it to an auto parts store and see if they have a line that would fit. It is a snug fit when pushed into the fitting..

topglock

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks...

topglock

Seaman Apprentice

You guys have been a great help on these forums and I thought I share a small bit of information on this subject. After exhausting searches over the web, I happened to look on the very edge of the fitting, and lo and behold, the size is engraved on the rubber insert. polyethylene or nylon tubing of 4mm or 5/32" is called for. Hope this eases some of the pain that comes with searching for these small items...

Bart Man

Recruit

Just a follow up. Rick's original instructions and part number(s) worked. It's great knowing the water pressure without having to stand up and try to check the stream coming out of the outboard. Thanks again Rick for your help.