1970's Mercury 150hp tilt & trim questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobiabeau

Recruit
I'm not sure if this is where this belongs? I was just given a 70's 20' highside Cobia, and on it is a 150hp thunderbolt in blue. The motor is all the way down, my problem is I need to move it soon. Is there any release that I can manually lift.

I was doing yard work for an older guy who said I can have it with title. He said it ran and was in the ocean 3 years prior.

This is my first boat this big, my other was just a 17' lowe jon boat. I have no idea how the tilt and trim works. Can I just put battery in and use? Should I do something before trying. Change fluid?

If anyone can steer me in the right direction I would be greatly appreciative. I'm as noobish as they come, so don't hold anything back. Thank you

NESAR

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1970's Mercury 150hp tilt & trim questions

Can you hook it up to a battery? There should be on on left hand side if your standing as it was on the boat. There should be a black handle to to hold it up,but you need to get it up first.You can also take out the over fill that is on the right hand side but be careful they are plastic so go easy with it.Once you take that out you can puck it up.Put a bucket under it so you don't get any oil on the ground.

merc850

Commander

If that motor has the four hoses and the pump is inside the boat you can release itreverse-lock-PT.jpg

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

If the motor is not power trim and tilt, put the control in forward and lift the motor with your hand. Forward will unlock manual tilt lock.

cobiabeau

Recruit

I went over today with 2 new batteries, I hooked them up to see if it would move. It did nothing, not even a sound. Is there some fuse between the switch and motors? Maybe switch is bad? Is there a way of bypassing to see? I looked around for the Overfill? I'll take pictures, so some one can point it out to me. When I try to lift the motor up it moves for like an 1/2 inch then feels like it hits a lock.

I still can't believe he just gave me this boat. The motor needs some work, but looks like new inside. Just the lower unit is peeling the paint. What is the general outlook on these old motors? Should I trash and start saving for a newer motor? I would like to keep it all old school, but want it to be reliable enough to go off shore a few miles without worry.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Post the pictures, as we still do not know wat you have and how the batteries are hooked up. Since you hooked up two batteries, you obviously have some extra wiring and likely a battery switch that did not come with the motor. Is the battery switch set to both?

cobiabeau

Recruit

I tried to get pictures but the weather isn't allowing me to. I hooked up 2 batteries to the same hook up. It doesn't have 2 spots for batteries. I brought 2 just in case. I looked all over the boat for the over fill, with no luck. The motor says 150hp mercury thunderbolt ignition power trim. Where the motor hooks up to the transom, there are 2 hydraulic jack looking things. One on each side, but it looks like there is nothing that goes to them.

I found out today the boat is 1970 20' Cobia highside. Is there somewhere on the motor that would have any info on the motor? Thanks again

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Well, both motors with power trim and motors w/o power trim have 'hydraulic jack looking things'. I will need to wait for the pictures. Take closeups of the "hydraulic Jack Looking things", so we can tell for sure.

79Merc80

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Here are 2 pictures of Mercury outboards with and without power trim/tilt (First Generation) Let us know what yours looks like.

The 1972 - 75 Merc 1500 has the power trim/tilt rams.

The 1980 - 83 Mercury 115 does not.

HTH, Craig

Attachments

• 1980-83 Mercury 115.jpg
    1980-83 Mercury 115.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 1972-75 Merc 1500.jpg
    1972-75 Merc 1500.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 8

cobiabeau

Recruit

That 1972 150 is exactly my motor. Does the 72 have some type of pump inside the boat?If you scroll up and see what merc850 posted, mine doesn't have a pump or 4 lines. Are these all missing or different? I really appreciate the help, again I'm new to boating. I just want to get this boat to my house so I can start restoring it. I'm going to try to get there tomorrow for pictures. Thanks again

79Merc80

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That version of Power Trim did use 4 hoses and a pump mounted inside the boat. Hoses were usually plummed through the splash well.

CamaroMan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Look for the two hydraulic rams on the underside of the head, if they have hoses going into a black pump with wires its electric, if not its manual like my 89 merc.. There's a lever that tilts a metal tang that the motor rests on in drive mode/down.to lift u raise motor by hand to release the weight, push motor up and rotate lever till its in the up position and drop motor on it gently, this holds the motor up.

If towing over bumpy or bad roads at least use tie downs to keep motor from bouncing up..

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Old and the OP never returned. Please glance at post dates.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.