Mercury 200 EFI Fuel Pump Issues (First boat blues)

daytripper7

Recruit
I just purchased a 1999 200 Mercury EFI. Here is the problem... Engine Ran beautifully for 10 hours.... then after sitting for an hour I started engine and applied the throttle and started moving at about 5 mph and then just as I am pushing the bow up and trying to move it just dies and sputters to stop. At first I thought I ran out of Gas, but fuel tank was 1/2 full. I tried to get boat from idle to more than 5 mph but as I can feel the engine start to slightly miss and run a little rough as I try to get it moving. I can actually feel the weakness in the engine as I push the throttle down. It seems as if I was pushing the throttle farther down than normal. However, the engine just could not get passed low idle speed without just dropping out and sputtering to stop. At the same place eachtime as i am trying to get out of hole the boat just sputters to stop and dies. Cuts out>>> I got towed back in due to my ignorance in marine engines...Any Ideas? in talking to local mechanics they have thought it was either the mechanical baker (mechanical) fuel pump or the Electric Fuel Pump (high Pressure). Any suggestions would be appreciatted. Thanks

BIGALF

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Mercury 200 EFI Fuel Pump Issues (First boat blues)

Start from the fuel tank first.Is the fuel ok? Do you have water in the fuel water seperator? Is it a vapor lock? Does it start fine after it gets cool? Don't just replace parts until you know what the problem is.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

There is a mechanical pump that feeds the vapor separator which contains the high pressure pump.

Disconnect the fuel hose just after the mechanical pump, point it into a suitable container and have a helper crank the motor while you watch the fuel flow. You should have a strong pulsed stream of fuel, if not then you need to check the hoses, fittings, or possible need to rebuild that pump.

If it DOES have a strong fuel stream, then you need to listen carefully as the key is turned on, Can you hear the high pressure pump come on for a couple seconds?

There is a schrader valve on the fuel pipe, looks like a tire air valve, you need to check here for pressure, it should be around 34 PSI, if not then you need further testing.

Check these threads/sites to see if a copy of your service manual is still available, the troubleshooting section will explain further testing, repost any questions and your findings.

http://1manual.com/Mercury manuals/Service_Manual_Index.html

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=309079&p=2072211#post2072211

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

As posted check your fuel 1st as it may be contaminated. Change the fuel/water seperator filter on the engine and in boat if equipped and dump in a clear container. Also check the anti siphon valve on tank as I have had 2 engines this week that acted lke your and and valve was plugged up....

daytripper7

Recruit

thamks for your input...Took to mechanic today and he will check anti siphon first and go from there>>> thanks