86 50HP 3cyl. Mercury not pumping water

a_ockels

Cadet
Hello all, new to the forums, been searching through the forums trying to find an answer and not coming up with much. I have an 86 3cyl. 50 that I just got. it was barely running and pouring fuel out the exhaust after fixing the fuel pump and the carbs it runs beautifully for the few seconds it's been run but it wont push any water out the telltale I pulled the hose off the outlet at the top of the motor and still got no water,I ran it for 20-30 seconds max. I also blew into the hole with an airgun and got air out of the exhaust so I believe it's not obstructed.I don't believe the 86 should have a t-stat and I was told that the water pump was new. before I start learning how to pull the lower unit apart and replace the water pump am I missing anything?

a_ockels

Cadet
Re: 86 50HP 3cyl. Mercury not pumping water

really? no love for the new guy. just to add a few things, I have been told that the pump could be installed upside down and also I figure if the same clown that screwed the carbs up put the pump in I'd be better off pulling it all apart and redoing it anyway. either way I need to put upper and lower mounts on it so if I don't hear anything before tonight I'm just gonna tear into it when I get to the shop.

DavidAK

Cadet
Re: 86 50HP 3cyl. Mercury not pumping water

How does one install a water pump assy upside down? Assuming that the impeller and SS sleeve are in good shape, I'd check to see if the water tube running up to the powerhead is in the upper pump housing. People like to loose the plastic sleeve that assists you in putting the water tube into the pump housing. This will require removing the lower unit. Put the engine in forward gear for removal and reassembly.