35 mercury impeller ?

41magnum

Cadet
New member-1st post!

have a 35 merc from the early 70's

has not run for 5 yrs, but been kept outta the weather, still looks new

gonna run it trapping a huge lake this winter, daily use for 2 months

A Merc cust svc guy said to change the impeller.........SHOULD I?

If so, is there a how-to tutorial?

Thanx

41mag

tntwill

Recruit
Re: 35 mercury impeller ?

go on you tube and there is step by step on there.just did my first 2 weeks ago all i can say is simple

41magnum

Cadet

thanks, I'll check it out
BUT
why does it need changed?

cr2k

Captain

Impeller are rubber and held off center with blades folded. When boat is used often they wear. When not used ("stored for 5 years") they dry out and get hard and will not maintain contact with housing.

Should be replaced every other year used or not. If they go to much longer you run the risk of the blades breaking off and fouling somewhere in the engine. ALL pieces should be accounted for EVERY time you change an impeller.

Cheap insurance. Don't wanna got stuck out somewhere with an overheated engine. You should be able to find a tutorial on U-Tube.

windy5849

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hello and welcome.I have a 1990 Merc that I just changed the original impeller on (21 years).After reading all the horror stories of over heated engines and huge repair bills,I spent the $25 for a kit and KNOW the next time on the water,I won't have a water pump related problem.The rubber becomes hard and looses it's efficiency to cool the motor after time.For peace of mind,rebuild the water pump before you get stuck in a very COLD remote location.

41magnum

Cadet

roger that Chinewalker

now if I can get youtube to work.....worked fine last month, don't go there often

thanx a bunch guys !!!!!!!!

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If it was sitting that long I'd change the fuel pump diaphragm as well.

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I agree with the other answers and would throw a can of sea foam in for good measure.

41magnum

Cadet

just came from Sea Foams' website........administered thru the vacuum line or just added to the gas???

windy5849

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think adding one ounce per gallon of gas is the recommended ratio for preventive maintenance.Mercury quick clean is another product that will remove varnish and carbon from your engines.I add Seafoam AND stabilizer to all the gas I use for my small engines and it has made improvements and reduced fuel system maintenance.But,as they say,there is no such thing as a mechanic in a can.