Lower unit disassembly of a 15 HP mercury

madbomber

Cadet
Hi All
I've just taken off the lower unit of my 15HP Mercury (serial # 0D249310) and got as far as removing the prop and the water pump components. I now would like to get at the gears but I'm at a loss as to what to do. Can any one give me some suggestions or steps to take?

Thanks

DavidAK

Cadet
Re: Lower unit disassembly of a 15 HP mercury

Why, is something wrong with your gears. Usually requires some special tools for proper gear shimming.

madbomber

Cadet

Why, is something wrong with your gears. Usually requires some special tools for proper gear shimming.

when I turned the flywheel it jammed and when I forced it it made a clicking sound which came from the lower unit. So I suspect there is something wrong down there. I basically want to take it apart so I can see if everything is ok.

Mi duckdown

Commander

did you turn the flywheel ( plugs removed) by hand with the lowerend removed, and have that same problem?

DavidAK

Cadet

Yes, does it still make this clicking noise with the lower unit removed? What does the lube look like? If the lube is clean and free from metal, there probably is no reason to go into the lower unit.

madbomber

Cadet

I turned the flywheel and its nice and smooth. The oil is black as night and when I turned the drive shaft without the oil it feels rough which may be due to not having oil in it. I would really like to know how to take this thing apart. I am convinced that the problem is in the bottom unit!

jimg984

Chief Petty Officer

sounds you dead set on going into lower unit,,, get the bigest hammer and have at it why do i say that? because you are headed into trashing that unit,,,, if you dont know how to get apart how will know how to repair and reassable it????

MercMan82

Petty Officer 2nd Class

From one DIY to another, I understand you're anticipation to find the problem and fix it. However, this is usually where you want to step back, assess the situation completely, and proceed cautiously. If not careful, you could dive in deeper than needed and end up with a lot more problems than you started with. Trust me, I'm currently doing an overhaul of a '71 1150, I've created many headaches simply because I was impatient. There's something to be said about doing it right the first time. Good luck!

Mi duckdown

Commander

(The oil is black as night and when I turned the drive shaft without the oil it feels rough which may be due to not having oil in it.)

WHAT??
confusing

DavidAK

Cadet

Black lube could be because it has not been changed in quite some time. What does it smell like? Burnt! You really need to get a service manual. There is only three gears and a shifting collar inside attached to the drive shaft and prop shaft. The rough feeling could be nothing more than the teeth on the gears. Drop the lower unit and rotate the engine. To do any work on the lower unit it must come off of the drive shaft housing anyway.

madbomber

Cadet

I have already dropped the lower unit. So far I have removed the oil from the lower unit, the lower unit from the engine, the water pump, and the prop. How do you remove the propeller shaft?

Mi duckdown

Commander

THIS is when you want to order an OEM Mercury Repair manual.

DavidAK

Cadet

Your also going to want to buy some "special tools", like a spanner wrench to dissemble. And then learn how to properly shim the gears inside. If your asking how to take it apart, I'm not sure that you'll know how to successfully put it back together again.

madbomber

Cadet

Your also going to want to buy some "special tools", like a spanner wrench to dissemble. And then learn how to properly shim the gears inside. If your asking how to take it apart, I'm not sure that you'll know how to successfully put it back together again.

You guys are not very helpful. I don't need stupid comments!!! I need answers to my question and that is " How do you remove the propeller shaft"?:mad:

carholme

Rear Admiral

bomber;

Your s/n comes up as:

15 15 2-cyl 0D182000 0D255071 1993 USA

From here:

http://www.marinshopen.se/Motorer/O...ista/Merc2takt2cyl9815/tabid/482/Default.aspx

It is a model:

1015201ND MERCURY 1993 15

Parts listing:

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/496.cfm

Service Manual P/N: 90-13449--1

If you wish to read up on the procedures, go here:

http://search.ebscohost.com/

ID Marshall
Password public

Login and Select "Small EngineRepair", then "Maine/Boat Motors", then scroll down to and select Mercury, then "OUTBOARD 3-175 HP, 1990-1993".

You will see several sections available, select "
LOWER UNIT GEAR HOUSING". These are all large files, so you may wish to copy them to your computer. As the files contain several models, you will have to scroll through them to pick out the information pertinent to your engine.

If there is something wrong with your lower unit, it will have to be torn apart anyway, so why don't you read up on it and do it yourself. All you want to do at this point is to get the bearing carrier out so you can determine if there is any visible damage. It is hardly rocket science.

Gerry

madbomber

Cadet

bomber;

Your s/n comes up as:

15 15 2-cyl 0D182000 0D255071 1993 USA

From here:

http://www.marinshopen.se/Motorer/O...ista/Merc2takt2cyl9815/tabid/482/Default.aspx

It is a model:

1015201ND MERCURY 1993 15

Parts listing:

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/496.cfm

Service Manual P/N: 90-13449--1

If you wish to read up on the procedures, go here:

http://search.ebscohost.com/

ID Marshall
Password public

Login and Select "Small EngineRepair", then "Maine/Boat Motors", then scroll down to and select Mercury, then "OUTBOARD 3-175 HP, 1990-1993".

You will see several sections available, select "
LOWER UNIT GEAR HOUSING". These are all large files, so you may wish to copy them to your computer. As the files contain several models, you will have to scroll through them to pick out the information pertinent to your engine.

If there is something wrong with your lower unit, it will have to be torn apart anyway, so why don't you read up on it and do it yourself. All you want to do at this point is to get the bearing carrier out so you can determine if there is any visible damage. It is hardly rocket science.

Gerry

Thanks for all your help Gerry