2000 Mercury 90 ELPTO dripping oil when left trimmed up

dandreye

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi All,

My 2000 Mercury 90 ELPTO (2-stroke) has been dripping oil when left trimmed up. It is a lot better now that I replaced the O-ring on the filler plug - yet still didn't go away completely. Are these outboards supposed to be completely dry when trimmed up? There's reportedly a defect around the low oil alarm sender attachment in the oil tank for some outboard models - has anyone ever had oil dripping because of that?

Also I've just learned that it could be the leaky gasket at the bottom inside the attenuator plate as the latter is designed to collect the oil coming out of the carbs when the engine is trimmed up and then pour it back into the lower carb when the engine is trimmed down. How realistic does that sound? That, if true, also explains a lot of blue smoke every time cold engine is started after a while.

Searching the forum on "oil tank" as recommended in other oil leaking related threads did not provide the answer.

Many thanks,

Dmitriy

Last edited:

dandreye

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2000 Mercury 90 ELPTO dripping oil when left trimmed up

Trying again... could the owners of 90 ELPTO and other horsepower Mercury 2-strokes with a similar design please say if your engine is completely dry and does not drip any oil when trimmed up, or if it does then how did you fix it? Just trying to gather some statistics on this issue.

Many thanks in advance,

Dmitriy

dandreye

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2000 Mercury 90 ELPTO dripping oil when left trimmed up

Hi All,

I recently found one of those small bleeding valves along with the pieces of tubing fallen off and lying in the bottom cowl: the other ends of those pieces of tubing were cracked. What role do these valves play and could oil be dripping out of this system? The outboard seems to be running as good as before.

Meanwhile still curious whether Mercury 2-stroke design assumes residual oil gathered at the bottom of the crankcase to leak into the attenuator when the outboard is trimmed up after use, and to stay there until the outboard is trimmed down, at which point the collected oil leaks back into the crankcase and burns off, thus contributing to so much smoke at the beginning.

Many thanks,

Dmitriy