1973'ish Mercury 800 80 hp lower unit

Marrken

Cadet
Alright a couple weeks ago I happen to run across a 72 Glastron Sea Star, and since the price was right, dirt cheap I think, I bought it.

Merc800(1).jpg

seastar(1).jpg

It came with a brand new floor, carpet and all newly upholstered leather seats, so I thought it was a good deal since the guy said he had a "new", a used lower, just put on but it was stuck only shifting into reverse and neutral. Sounded like an easy fix to me. I read on here a week ago on what was what gear by the prop being locked, spinning freely in one direction and being locked in counter clockwise, and free spinning both directions. Now I can't find it anywhere when I look.

Now that I just got the new cam for the control shift I can't find the post to drop the lower and realign the splines correctly after putting in the new part for the control box. He said a buddy did it for him so he had no idea what was wrong if he had messed something up or it was just a linkage issue. Sounds like just a linkage issue to me, but I'm no expert this is my first boat. And I've never worked on an outboard before.

Now gimmie almost any other motorized vechicle and I know what I'm doing. ;)

One has to branch out now and again and I love all things mechanical, but now that I got kids and I like to go fishing I figured a boat could be added to my collection of toys for the whole family to have fun with.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1973'ish Mercury 800 80 hp lower unit

First check the shift slider. Disconnect the shift cable and move it to about the center position. if the gearcase is installed properly the shifter will click into neutral and stay there. The prop will spin freely both ways. if that works, set the mercontrol to neutral (handle at noon), and adjust the shift cable barrel nut so the cable end fits the shift slider and the barrel nut clamp.

If the center position is not neutral, drop the gearcase and if the gears are in forward (rachet when turnet CW), turn the rod CCW until it clicks into neutral. In the gearscase is in reverse (1.3 turn i either direction), turn the shift rod CW until it clicks into neutral. Now install the gearcase with the Mercontrol in neutral.

Marrken

Cadet
Re: 1973'ish Mercury 800 80 hp lower unit

The control was working correctly, I had previously taken it apart to have a look and that's when I saw that the cam/gear was rather worn and needed to be replaced. I had thought that was what was causing the shifting problem. I disassemlbed the lower last night after making the post and I saw that the coupling for the shift shaft had the teeth about 70% worn off in the forward direction. That is in the direction the linkage turns to engage Forward.

So I'm going to guess that is why I can shift between neutral and reverse but can't get enough out of the worn part to hit forward. Sadly it looks like another part and a few more days waiting, I was really hoping to get it in the water this year as I live in the midwest my time is very limited this time of year due to weather.

If I happen to run across anything else I get confused about or just plain can't figure out I'll be sure to toss it out here. Seems like a very helpful board for the boat enthusiast. And for anyone who is an old Glastron fan or just likes seeing old boats brought back to life I plan on having the hull refinished this winter and I'll toss up some pics. some minor cracks in the fiberglass well above the water line. I can't really think of anything to do to the interior cause the previous owner did a nice job the year before I bought it.