73 -75 mercry 65 hp 3 cyl. spark problems

jldsomething

Cadet
i just recently bout a boat with a 65 hp mercury its around a 73 or 74 i think from day one iv been having problems with it not wanting to start i took the mercury switch off and it i thought i cured the problem but i was wrong. so i went to take it out on the lake and the day before i went to start it up and it wouldnt not start no spark so i clean the distributor and checked everything tryed a few more times and nothing and let the boat sit for like 2 hrs then tryed again and it fired right up. so i took it out to the lake and was out on the water fishing for about 4 hours i started every once and while to move spots and it was doing great but then wouldnt start. so i tried messing with the distributor and nothing and started trolling back when i got mad and tap the coil and switch box with a hammer and got the boat to start up again. im thinking its either the coil or trigger. does anyone know the ohms specs to test the trigger or coil on this boat i have 3 wires coming to the swtich box from the disb. its a black and white/black and blue wire. im at loss hear i thought of just getting a used switch box and trying that but i will never know cuz its still starting right now. it will start some days then some days it might not iv checked all wiring and it all looks good any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.