water pump problem

krovar

Seaman
had the shop put a new water pump in, drove 3 hours to the lake started out got out about a half mile and noticed the temp was was up, slowed down and the temp started comeing down looked like it was pumping a good stream, got home pulled lower unit and top of water pump there is very little of the impeller left, the problem is somehow it has cut a grove in the shaft and i cant get the impeller off, now im afraid that grove is going to leave a weak spot in the shaft, any ideas

matth121

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: water pump problem

if you had a shop put it in, id take it back to them and tell them to fix it. If it's that bad after 3 hours running, it obviously wasn't put in right. Not sure about the groove in the shaft? are you saying a plastic impeller cut a groove in a metal shaft? As far as getting it off, cutoff wheel on a dremel should do it. Best of luck

krovar

Seaman

looks like the stainless insert cut the grove, it dident run 3 hours maybe 30 minutes

matth121

Petty Officer 1st Class

ahh, drove 3 hours, got ya. I'd still be holding the shop responsible for that. They replaced the impeller, f'ed after 30 mins, obviously didnt go in right. and they didnt tell you there was any wear or anything to watch for? if the groove was already there, im sure they would have told you. Other than that, not sure i can help, i wouldnt think you'd have to worry about a weak shaft though, unless its just going to start chewing up impellers because of the groove. What motor/yr are you using. I'm sure you'll get some professional advice from these guys soon.

krovar

Seaman

itss 1989 150 black max, the grove was not there because i put the pump in but i had water getting in lower, so i took it to them because i couldent get the prop shaft out, i had ran the boat maybe a hour and found the water, they made a comment they broke something on pump and had to epoxy it and it would be ok because they had it happen alot

matth121

Petty Officer 1st Class

can you see what they used the epoxy on? I'm not really sure what to tell you. They broke something and now your impellers destroyed.....hhhhmmmmmmm. So i take it the impeller was still fine when you brought it to them? I mean you ran it for an hour and then noticed water in the lower, did you check the pump again at this point or just bring it to the shop? if it was in good shape after the hour of running, then they did something, and then 30 minutes later your impellers destroyed and wearing a groove in the shaft.... doesnt that mean they messed something up??