Trim Tab Anode

ledzeppelin135

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey, I just realized that I am missing the trim tab anode on my motor from when I bought it. It is a 1983 Mercury 50hp and I measured two inches between the bottom of the mounting area for that anode to the prop blade when it is in its fully vertical position. Would the Sierra 18-6011 Trim tab anode fit? And what exactly is this supposed to improve performance wise? Thanks for the help!

chriscraft254

Commander
Re: Trim Tab Anode

The anode is there to protect against disimilar metal corrosion. The anode will get eatin up before the metals around it do, in theory. If your talking about the anode above the prop, the anode is adjustable to the left and right, when properly adjusted it will keep the boat from leaning or pulling to starboard or port from the natural prop torque . Thats why on dual engine boats they have counter rotating motors so all the torque isn't in one direction.Alot of people don't realize how much these actually do and if not adjusted properly can effect performance. They are also very sensitive, so it is best to adjust them a little at a time to find the sweet spot. I can't answer your question about which one will fit your outdrive.