xr-6 starter problem

gradie

Recruit
I have a 93 150hp xr6 that just stopped. I was out fishing. Shut the engine down to use my trolling motor and went to start it again and nothing. Checked the cables, recharged the battery, checked the fuses, connections and changed the solenoid. Before I changed the solenoid I could hear a click in the solenoid when I turned the key from run to start now nothing just a beep as I pass the run position. Any help would be great.

KDAVID1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: xr-6 starter problem

Welcome to iboats--this may be dumb but you did take it out of gear? I have a hot foot and have been known to leave it in gear:facepalm: Other than that--have you check the starter--as well as the solenoid?

gradie

Recruit

That was the first thing I checked. I'm questioning whether or not it could be stuck in gear but showing on the shift indicator that it is in neutral.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Checking connections means disconnecting the battery terminals, cleaning them thoroughly (as in shiny bright) and then inspecting the cable ends where the wire enters. Lumpy insulation indicates corrosion. Looking at connections is not a valid check. When cleaned, reinstall and tighten securely. By the way, battery cables have two ends. Ensure you clean and inspect both ends. If you are worried about being stuck in gear, turn the prop by hand. If it is stuck in gear you won't be able to turn the prop. If it isn't, the prop will spin freely. Do not jump to the starter as the issue. Do the FREE stuff first. Free meaning -- DIAGNOSE and that doesn't mean GUESS. Using a voltmeter or test light, have someone turn the key to START while you check for voltage at the small terminal on the starter solenoid. If there is +12 volts present, ensure the solenoid is grounded. If it is, then check continuity of the solenoid. If it measures open circuit it is bad. If not, the primary side is ok. But if you got this far, the solenoid should click when the key goes to START. Using a single jumper cable, connect one end to the POS terminal of the battery. Touch the other end to the large terminal on the solenoid that goes to the starter. If the starter spins, the problem is in the POS cable or the contacts in the solenoid. As mentioned earlier, the solenoid should click if there is +12 volts to it and the unit is grounded. You then check for voltage on the large terminal going to the starter when the key is in START. No voltage -- replace the solenoid. Voltage present -- starter is the issue.