1969 mercury 1250 125 H.P six not getting full throttle.

gabriel edgar

Recruit
Me and my lady just got a 1972 Cheetah with a mercury 1250 125 H.P six.

I don't know much about motors but got it running.
We took it out and drove it around a little. But I'm wondering about some of the problems.

When I put it in first gear it jumps a little.
and then When I try to go full throttle it tries to die on me, so I have to back the throttle down. Im guessing the spring on the distributor, is the wrong one and it's to tight or something.

It sounds like it runs great to me, but the remote control wont put it in reverse, unless I finish pushing it into gear.

seems like this is a great motor and I would rather get it running than selling it, but it seems like it's worth a little money.

It looks like it was taken care of and looking for some tips beforeP8264385.jpgP8264386.jpgP8264387.jpgP8264390.jpg I spend to have it tuned up by a mechanic.

thanks so much for any help.

Gabriel and Jamie.

mr 88

Commander
Re: 1969 mercury 1250 125 H.P six not getting full throttle.

You probably have a fuel delivery issue.If you can "nurse it up" to WOT but not floor it without it dying out then...Could be 1 or more things going on.Carbs/jets may have dirt in them.Float bowl may be out of adjustment.Fuel pump/diaphragm may be need to be looked at as well as the filter.Sometimes you can get by with a heavy dose of SeaFoam,try putting in more than the recommended amount in high octane gas.Then put some in a spray dispenser and directly spray into carb while your in a high idle mode until it sputters or dies out.Then spray more into her.Now go out and run a 1/2 tank through her at varying speeds.What is the condition of your bulb and fuel line from the tank to engine.Do not [touch] get into the distributor unless you have a manual.I suspect that the timing and distributor are fine.
The controls from that vintage were all manual so I am not sure what your talking about when you say you must push it into gear vs the" remote" doing the job.Explain better please. Yes they are great motors when properly taken care of with a great hp to weight factor.