1984 Mercury stalls out at part throttle

toprodwalleye

Recruit
Hi:
Need some help here took the motor in to have a water pump installed and reset the carbs for proper idle speed and came away with other problems. When they worked on carbs, wires where moved around and all the problems started there, trigger wires, stator wires and wires from the coil packs where all cracked with exposed wire. With all these wires exposed I replaced stator , trigger and coil pack wires going to the switch box. The mechanic had first put tape on them and started it up with muffs on I think this shorted out the switch box also because I still can not run the motor in gear and it stalls out. All the items I mentioned have been replaced with new parts I ordered a switch box now because I think it was shorted out with all the exposed wires. Is there anything else I should be looking at to solve this problem I checked compression and they are at 140 to142 on all four cyls. Any help with this would be appreciated.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1984 Mercury stalls out at part throttle

With what you said, I would look to proper engine timing. Retarded timing could cause that type of a problem. If you don't have the where-with-all, manuals, specs, equipment and all, I'd do it by ear. Get someone to drive the boat and manually adjust the timing until the engine takes the load then give her another nudge.

Compression is great per my manual...different hp engine but same critter.

Mark