help overheating

krovar

Seaman
1989 150 black max, drove 3 hours to the lake fires right up take off look at temp gage and it keeps going up, so i stop and check pee streme shows to have good water flow and the temp comes down, take off again dose the same thing and its not running right so i stop pull top and gas is just running out the bottom carb could this cause the heating problem because its getting more gas and not enough oil

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: help overheating

Fuel/oil mixture is controlled by total fuel flow, a flooding carb will not change the mix.

It is possible that a flooded cyl(s) placing more load on the other cyls can cause them to run hotter than normal. The flooding issue should be repaired.

HOWEVER, any possible cooling issue is cause to inspect the water pump. An impeller can take a 'set', the vanes remain in a curve position and will not flow sufficient volume of water at speed to cool the motor. A new impeller is required at least every other year as insurance against a possibly expensive overheat.

A water pressure gauge is a great addition to your boat, enabling you to monitor water pressure at all speeds and KNOW when the pump efficiency is failing.

krovar

Seaman

new water pump and good water flow, the motor is oil injected so if its running fuel non stop wouldent it just be putting oil at what your rpm are

krovar

Seaman

i really need some help on the reason this motor is trying to overheat

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Have you rebuilt the poppet valve? The water out of the telltale is a small fraction of necessary cooling water. The majority of the cooling water goes thru the poppet valve.

Also, make sure the water pump impeller, wearplate, gaskets and upper pump cover are in good shape. Sometimes water pump base will warp and cause low water pressure.