How do get the steering cable to move the motor from side to side? Its frozen up.

andrewbabich

Petty Officer 3rd Class
How do get the steering cable to move the motor from side to side? Its frozen up.

The 1978 85 hp mercury motor does not want to move side to side. I hit the grease fittting with some grease. Then I disconnected the steering cable because I I think the steering cable is seized from years of neglect, but the motor still does not seem to want to move from side to side. Any tricks or advice? I'm stumped.

Also how do I figure out what kind of steering cable I need to buy. The boat is a 1978 17 foot tri hull. I'll get more details tonight.

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: How do get the steering cable to move the motor from side to side? Its frozen up

Where did you disconnect the cable, at the engine end? You're saying the engine itself is stiff? Or is the cable stiff? You confused me. If the engine is stiff you can just keep working it, grease and work, and eventually it will loosen up but that means there's corrosion in the swivel tube and the bushings. That's ugly. If the cable itself is stiff, replace the whole thing, helm and all. As for replacement, go to Teleflex and the guide will show you exactly how to measure for the new system. Buy the whole kit- it's not much more than the cable and it's easier to do it all at once. Buy an NFB system and you'll really like your new steering.

andrewbabich

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: How do get the steering cable to move the motor from side to side? Its frozen up

View attachment 112575View attachment 112576View attachment 112577View attachment 112578View attachment 112581

When I disconnect the motor from the steering cable assembly I can move the motor. I can not move the steering cable. I greased that nipple on the steering tube.

These pictures show how when I unscrew the collar nut on the starboard side of the motor sliding bar, and then trun the wheel then there is movement of the steering cable moving away from the motor (it normally is held it place by that collar nut and some how must force the protruding part on right side of the motor in and out ). If I screw the collar nut back into place on the starboard side of that slide bar and then turn the wheel nothing moves. Its locked up.

What should I do to try and get that port side moving. This port side has a hole in the end that a bar with a threaded nut connects to the motor. Even disconnected from the motor I can not get this port side of the sliding bar to budge. I tapped on it with a hammer. I tapped towards the motor, and I tapped it towards the port side also. I moves about an 1/8 of an inch this way.

I can only move the steering wheel if I remove that collar nut.

I can't even understand how I would remove the steering cable if it in fact is seized. ( i think it is.)

Last edited:

ufm82

Your pictures don't show up...

OK, so the rod end is frozen in the tilt tube. Pretty common issue on boats that have sat for a while, especially if the tube has been submerged for whatever reason. When you disconnect the collar nut that frees the cable from the tilt tube and that is why you can move the steering wheel. But you notice that the cable sheath moves, not the cable itself. That's actually a good thing- the cable isn't frozen in the sheath. However, it can be tough to get the rod out of the tilt tube. Only the use of "persuasive force" will do the job and that is a hammer. Don't kill it- just tap on the end until you get some movement. Hit it liberally with the PBlaster or Deep Creep or other penetrant and keep working it until you get it free. It can take a while, especially if the crud build up in the tube is really heavy. And as an added bonus, you may not be able to get the rod competely out of the tube unless you remove the engine as there may not be enough clearance on the starboard side to get the rod fully out. If you can get the rod out of the tube, clean up the rod as best you can with some fine steel wool or emery cloth and clean out the tilt tube with a round wire brush. It can take a while and take the time to do a good job. Keep hitting it the whole time with penetrant and keep cleaning until you see that it is clean inside. Reinstall the rod and grease it well. That should fix you up. Worst case scenario? You can't get the rod out- it's stuck. Can't get a good hit on the end to move it. You may want to pull the engine off, cut the cable off the rod end and drive the rod out of the tube with a drift. Then you can clean up the tube and install a new cable assembly.

andrewbabich

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I got it!!!!!!!!! I did pretty much what you said.

I it it with a torch for a while. Then I put a wrench on the nut on the till tube to keep the steering tub from moving the tilt tub. Still didn't budge. Then I started hitting it with a hammer again and finally got it to break free. So I rocked it back and forth with vice grips, then I tapped it in and out. (whole time I kept shooting pb blaster on it). Finally I tapped it all the way out of the tilt tub. The dried up grease was like clay on it. I sanded down the deep gouges from the vice grips, and cleaned everything real good.

In order to get the steering tube out a cut a hole in the fiberglass area of the transom so it would slide through. ( i saw this on youtube, I know its bad but on a boat that I don't even know if it'll run, no way am i taking off the motor)

Got it back in there and its all goooood now. Now I'm trying to get the motor running.

Heres a picture of it!View attachment 112787

ufm82

I read your other threads on the engine. Your pictures aren't showing up and one of the mods said that you should use the "go advanced" button to manage the attachments. You need to pull and clean the carbs, (disassemble, clean and rebuild), change the water pump, L/U oil, get new plugs and use new fuel. Once those basic things are done, the motor should run well enough. For about $100 or so you can do all of this- and your engine will then love you.