Help With Mariner Shift/Throttle Cable Hook Up

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
I had appended this to an old post. Thought I'd get better response if it stood on it's own.

1982 Mariner, 30 HP, electric start w/remote control equipment. Controller is Quicksilver, Commander as best I can determine. Replaced old, shot, shift & throttle cables with new Teleflex cables listed as good for pre-1993 Mariners of 40 HP and below. New cables are exact match for old cables.

Nothing was changed in controller except to remove old cables and install new cables. I had a photo of the original controller configuration and compared it to the configuration with the new cables installed - identical.

When I go to hook up the cables there is a problem with the shifter cable. See attached photo. With the controller in neutral and the engine shift lever in the neutral position, the cable connector at the engine end won't reach the shift lever (shy by about 1 1/4 inch). The connector, as shown in the photo, is backed off on the cable end as far as it will go and still have some thread engaged, so I can't adjust it any further to move it towards the shift handle.

The other attached photo shows the controller with the new cables installed.

What am I doing wrong? I'm sure it's something stupid, but haven't figured it out yet. All advice appreciated.

Attachments

• DCP_0582.jpg
    DCP_0582.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DCP_0583.jpg
    DCP_0583.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 0

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Re: Help With Mariner Shift/Throttle Cable Hook Up

Duhhhhh (I think)! I had the notch in the engine end of the cable in the forward slot in the bracket. When I move the notch to the aft end of the bracket everything seems to work as it should.

As I said, something stupid!