Impeller replacment on a 50 hp. Merc for noob

Chefstu

Cadet
Anyone know where I can find pics and or instructions on replacing my impeller. I think my motor is between an 81-84 Blueband Electric start and what is the idiot level for DIY

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Impeller replacment on a 50 hp. Merc for noob

Its pretty easy to do but you should get yourself a manual to be sure you do it right.

fisherguy123

Petty Officer 1st Class

hi....my motor is a 1982...merc 50 and I replaced the impeller on it this past June. It was the first time I worked on this motor and simple to do. The hard part is getting the shifter shaft splines to line up on the re-assembly ......you want to be sure the motor is straight up and down and an extra set of hands to start the nuts is helpful while another holds the lower end up in place. You may have to turn the flywheel to get the shifter splines to engage. I was able to to the job myself but it took 4 tries to get it all up in place properly.Get a service manual if you can....you may have to rebuild your water-pump if there is any internal scoring and it will show you all the "o" rings and gaskets. attached is a pic from my manual of the lower unit parts....good luck

Attachments

• MWSnap017.jpg
    MWSnap017.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 1

Chefstu

Cadet

Thanks that looks alot like mine, Should be pretty close anyway.Spare hands are easy to find . Spare brains on the other hand!!!!!