mercury 150hp transom damage

rockfish44lb

Cadet
as the title says i have damaged my transom on my 150hp mercury efi year 2000. i took a boat trip from worth boat launch down the cal sag to downtown chicago and back. on my way home about 3 miles from my launch i was going about 20mph and hit a submegred log. did not damage to the hull of the boat cause it did not hit it. but i heard the clunk and start my motor bounce so instantly stoped turned off motor and trimmed up to make sure nothing was majorly damaged. i noticed it looked like it was smaller. when i got back to the launch i discovered a fairly large chunk missing. will this have to be replaced? or will i be fine to drive it as is?

Attachments

• boat 001.JPG
    boat 001.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 0
  • boat 002.JPG
    boat 002.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 0
  • boat 003.JPG
    boat 003.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 0

erwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: mercury 150hp transom damage

as the title says i have damaged my transom on my 150hp mercury efi year 2000. i took a boat trip from worth boat launch down the cal sag to downtown chicago and back. on my way home about 3 miles from my launch i was going about 20mph and hit a submegred log. did not damage to the hull of the boat cause it did not hit it. but i heard the clunk and start my motor bounce so instantly stoped turned off motor and trimmed up to make sure nothing was majorly damaged. i noticed it looked like it was smaller. when i got back to the launch i discovered a fairly large chunk missing. will this have to be replaced? or will i be fine to drive it as is?
I couldn't quite understand the above part in red, but it looks like you broke the end of your skeg off. Your transom is the back of the boat where your engine is bolted to.

rockfish44lb

Cadet

i just happened to take a glance back as i was driving and saw the motor take a small bounce as i hit the submerged log. and thank you for the knowledge, i am still new to boats and learning daily. the last 3 miles home it drove fine. nothing changed besides the end of the skeg broke off. will this be bad for the boat itself? or will it be fine as is?

*EdC*

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If it were me, I'd fix it. Replacement skegs are readily available. Ask around your local boat yard for a welder that has experience welding this type of aluminum

CV16

Chief Petty Officer

I would also fix it, but I have a friend that has had a much worse looking skeg than that for a good 5 years now. I wouldn't worry about it if the boat sits in the slip. I might just fix it when I had the time.

jgorm

Cadet

It looks fine to me. That little piece is not going to affect how the boat rides. I can weld aluminum, but I wouldn't waste my time on a job like that if it were my boat.

rockfish44lb

Cadet

thanks for the help everyone. my conclusion to this problem is just going to be leave it as is and go buy a skeg protector that just bolts right over it.