M2 Jet Drive.

Ten.Seven

Recruit
I know this is the outboard section. This M2 setup is a V6 two stroke power head off of an out board. hooked to the jet drive.
Its in an '01 Seadoo Speedster. I wanted some input on this setup. I would be working on the boat myself.

So for the most part I would like to know if its easy to do maintenance on and if it is reliable in general.

They guys in the Seadoo forums say they are odd & expensive to fix. Is this true??

scooper77515

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: M2 Jet Drive.

I am a member of the Seadoo forums, and i have downloaded all of the manuals.

I have no experience working on those M2s, but when I pull up the 01 Speedster manual, every time it starts to even begin to discuss the M2 engine it immediately says "Refer to M2 Jet Drive Service Manual".

So, for a Seadoo mechanic, yes, it appears to be "odd".

That manual is 400 pages long!!! Just on the engine and jet drive!

I would recommend that you pay the Seadooforum subscription for one month, download the manual(s) and browse through them. If I am not mistaken, it is $20 per month to join, and that is CHEAP for all the manuals for your boat that you can use forever afterwards.

If you have any specific questions you would like me to look up for you, PM me and I will try to help as much as possible.

Ten.Seven

Recruit

I have worked on all types of two stroke stuff. Weed Wackers, Chainsaws, RC Cars, Detroit 8-71 Diesel. Just never a boat motor. Well, Never an outboard boat motor.

Is this motor reliable in general??
Is the maintenance a pain in the *** due to the power head being stuffed in a hull??

scooper77515

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Not sure how it is laid out, but both Seadoos I have owned were major hassles to work on, simply because of the location of the engine in their respective bays. I ended up working most of the time upside down and hanging over the back seat on my stomach (on the boat). Often was easier to just take the engine hatch OFF and get it out of the way.

Mine was a Challenger, so not sure how yours is setup compared to those.

Ten.Seven

Recruit

Not sure how it is laid out, but both Seadoos I have owned were major hassles to work on, simply because of the location of the engine in their respective bays. I ended up working most of the time upside down and hanging over the back seat on my stomach (on the boat). Often was easier to just take the engine hatch OFF and get it out of the way.

Mine was a Challenger, so not sure how yours is setup compared to those.

U had the Challenger 1800 with M2 setup?? Was it an "Always Something" type of boat??

I have a line on a Speedster that needs 2 new pistons (Bad Compression in two cylenders the other 4 test good). The pistons look affordable, around $190 ea. I can get the boat for a steal, 1k. I was thinking, Why not?? I have the space, I have the tools, I have the know how.

If I PM you my email, Will you Send me those manuals??