Black max timing!!

Garrett1992

Cadet
i have a 1980 200hp black max s/n 54........ I set the timing on it like a year ago from some good advice on this website. It said something to the order of, if I remove the idle stabilizer, set the timing four degrees more than what the book says. So now i forgot where to find that info again because i just rebuilt my carburetors and need a link and sync and timing and all that. My book says 20 degrees wot timing at cranking speed. Is it true i need to increase this to 24?..or something more like 22 or 23btdc? thanks guys

Garrett1992

Cadet
Re: Black max timing!!

Whoops... looks like i just used a bit of logic to find out i dont have to advance it more than the book says.. because its an IDLE stabilizer..or am i correcT?

j_martin

Admiral

There were possibly two modules on that engine, an idle stabilizer and an advance module. It's also possible that both were replaced with one combination module later.

With no modules, time at 24?, with the advance or combination module mounted, time at 20?.

hope it helps
John

Garrett1992

Cadet

No, there was only one module, as I removed it myself. The date on the back of it was 1980 anyways. The service manual says it an idle stabilizer.
when i look at the 225hp section, they call it an advance module. so im guessing i only have the idle stabilizer.

Garrett1992

Cadet

does not having an idle stabilizer have an effect on how i should time it though?

jigmister

Petty Officer 1st Class

With no modules, time at 24?, with the advance or combination module mounted, time at 20?.

j_martin

Admiral

The idle stabilizer theoretically does nothing unless engine speed goes below a set point, usually 550 rpm. Then it advances a few degrees.

The theory is that if the engine loads down a bit when you put it into gear, this will keep it idling.

We chit can them because they occasionally randomly short to ground. That puts WOT timing ahead far enough to instantly grenade the engine.