Lower unit reassemble fwd or neutral?

longmood

Recruit
Hello! NEED HELP, I have a 1974 Merc 850thunderbolt long shaft (20").
I have been trying to reassemble lower unit, in fwd gear like the manual said,but always seem to be about a 1/2 in away from sealing.Appreciate any instruction, Thanks, Longmood

Laddies

Banned
Re: Lower unit reassemble fwd or neutral?

I like reverse as fwd can jump beyond while installing and neutral takes someone to turn the flywheel to align the crank splines, the main thing is that the upper and lower are in the same gear

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I like to install them in neutral. I can reach and turn the flywheel with one hand, while installing gearcase.

Laddies

Banned

You must be built like a orangutan

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Nah, I am a 200# weakling. I tilt the motor all the way up so the gearcase is "light", and slide her home. A small turn on the flywheel to align the splines, align the shifter, and then finger tight on the nuts and wiggle her into position. Piece of pie

keifer

Cadet

I''m trying to re install my lower unit and it stops about 1" away from seating. what's hanging me up???

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Probably need to align driveshaft splines. Turn the flywheel a bit and see if that helps. Next would be to align shift shaft splines.

diehardmason

Seaman Apprentice

Probably need to align driveshaft splines. Turn the flywheel a bit and see if that helps. Next would be to align shift shaft splines.

I had the same issue the other day. IMO its easier in neutral. I turned the fly wheel just a little at a time and the driveshaft splines lined up. That cut the distance to 1/2". Turned a tad bit more and the shift shaft splines lined up. Tested it and everything was good. Put it on the water with no issues!