Need help with 2006 Mercury 115 hp 4 stroke - Lost shifting in Forward and Reverse

wcwh28

Recruit
Have a 2006 Mercury 115 hp 4 Stroke that just lost shifting in forward or reverse. Motor was running a good 20 minutes before. It stalled once and I was able to start it up. But once I have the controls in forward, the boat did not move and the prop is not spinning. Have a buddy pop the cowl and look into the linkage when I try to shift, cable and linkage seems fine.

I have read and try searching the forum for the same issue but nothing too similar. Believe now I have to pull the lower unit. There are 5 bolts plus the Trim Tab that I know off. Just like confirmation as to the controls.

1) Should the shifter control be in Neutral or Forward prior to dropping the LU?

2) Is there any linkage that required removal or to be disconnected prior to dropping lower unit.

3) How does one turn the drive shaft once lower unit is out?

4) Does turning the prop spins the drive shaft?

5) Aligning shifter shaft?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Need help with 2006 Mercury 115 hp 4 stroke - Lost shifting in Forward and Revers

1) Should the shifter control be in Neutral or Forward prior to dropping the LU? Really doesn't matter- if in gear it's easier to reinstall the LU since you can turn the prop and move the driveshaft. However, if you are going to be going into the L/U it's a moot point.

2) Is there any linkage that required removal or to be disconnected prior to dropping lower unit. No- shift shaft is splined at the junction. It will come apart easily.

3) How does one turn the drive shaft once lower unit is out? It'll turn by hand but you'll need to put the L/U in forward or reverse to make the propshaft move. You see the shift shaft in front of the driveshaft when you drop the L/U. If it's in neutral, turn it carefully with a pair of pliers (don't mar the splines) to put the L/U in gear.

4) Does turning the prop spins the drive shaft? Only if the L/U is in gear. And remember, if the L/U is in forward and you move the prop "forward" it will kick the L/U out of gear. The clutch dog is made that way.

5) Aligning shifter shaft? You can see the shaft ends as you are re-installing the L/U. It's in the front of the case. Once you have the driveshaft splines lined up slide the L/U up until the ends of the shift shaft are almost touching. You should be able to almost get a nut on one of the stud by then. Line up the two shaft ends and slide the case up the until they mesh. It's not hard at all.

Unless damage occurred in the front of the bullet somewhere and you say the linkage/shift shaft are OK, I can't imagine what happened. If something in the bottom end gave way and stalled the motor that is not a good thing... 2006- out of warranty?

wcwh28

Recruit
Re: Need help with 2006 Mercury 115 hp 4 stroke - Lost shifting in Forward and Revers

Thanks for the quick response and advice. Have not drop the LU yet. The shifter control and linkage are OK not sure about the shift shaft as LU is not out yet. Unfortunately this motor is out of warranty too.

wcwh28

Recruit

Was able to drop lower unit and able to look for the forward gear - Ratchet one way and locks the other way. Found that the housing to the shift switch to be broken and the shift linkage to have slide up from switch thus gears could not engage. Should I play with the shift gear on the lower unit to find my reverse and neutral? With the lower unit out I am also tempting to change out the water pump. Thank you kindly.

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

If your L/U acts like mine you can turn the rod in either direction and get forward or reverse. Turn the prop both ways- one way will turn the driveshaft and the other way will kick the L/U back into neutral. Verify by spinning the prop again- should have no resistance. When you reinstall the L/U leave the shifter in neutral and line up the rods. Should be fine once you get the shift bracket is fixed. My question is why the bracket broke.
And since you have the L/U off, go ahead and do the pump. It's $50 well spent and your engine will love you. So will your wallet.

wcwh28

Recruit

Thanks. It is the housing of the shift switch that broke. This switch is right against the shift linkage on the top cowl. Not sure why and how it broke all of a sudden (but it is plastic after all).