Mercury 200 Saltwater stalling issues

dusty75

Recruit
I am looking for a bit of help with my Merc, I have a Saltwater 200 hp Merc 2004 v6 with carbs wand just under 250 hours on the motor. I am having idling problems ,also problems when I try to ease up to speed, Around 3500 RPM the motor will bog down and stall unless I slam the throttle down?. When I first start the motor it runs fine and idle is fine. However after i let it sit for an hour or so it has a hard start and will not idle unless I put in neutral and bring the RPM'S up for about 4 or 5 min. After that it will start right up and idle just fine but still bog around half throttle. The motor runs fine at WOT 5800 RPM and pushes the boat 23 ft seafox cc at top speed of 48-50. No mater if the motor is warm it still bogs down when I try to ease into the throttle. I have replaced the prime bulb, plugs and fuel filter and also used power tune. The carbs were rebuilt about 100 hours ago, However after the rebuild it sat or almost 2 years with no use. Tank was empty for that whole time. Any help would be great thanks in advance.

Dusty

jerre23

Recruit
Re: Mercury 200 Saltwater stalling issues

I have this exact issue with the same motor. Have you had any luck on repairs yet?

dusty75

Recruit
Re: Mercury 200 Saltwater stalling issues

Yes, I had Marine Mech take a look, Here is we we did to fix it, New fuel line from the tank, another new prime value, fuel water seperator and fuel filter. Also the main issue was I had a week CDM on plug 1 and the timing was advanced to 9 tolorance is 4 to 7 on this motor, once the cdm was replaced it ran much better but still had a voltage issue, Installed 2 new deep cycle 27's and new Battery switch, Drained the entire fuel syem and fueled up with Eth free gas. Once this was all done boat runs perfect. Gained about 3 mph top end, 200 rpms better fuel milage, and it jumps out of the hole and plains out very quick. No more hard starting, stalling at all. Starts up right away and idles perfect. Seems like this did the trick. Hopes this helps?

Dusty