1993 200HP Mercury XRI - Starter/Flywheel

Ranger1993

Cadet
I am having a problem starting my 1993 200 HP XRI outboard engine. When I try and turn the motor over, the starter comes up but hits the bottom of the flywheel and then retracts back down. I called a mercury service center and they said the flywheel may not be balanced. Does anyone have any direction on how to balance the flywheel? Any special tools needed?

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1993 200HP Mercury XRI - Starter/Flywheel

Huh? From your description the starter isn't even engaging the flywheel, correct? Unless you have an oval-shaped flywheel ( an impossibility by the way) I fail to see how a flywheel balance issue can be your problem. Sounds more like the starter itself is having an issue. Perhaps someone here could set us both straight.

Ranger1993

Cadet

The starter is not engaging the flywheel. However, the starter is working. The starter is moving up and down and is also spinning correctly.

My problem is - when I try and start the engine, the starter comes up (spinning) but then hits the teeth of the flywheel for some reason and retracts. I have manually pulled up the starter teeth and set them in the flywheel to have everything aligned and then tried to start the motor and it will turn over. But if I do not manually pull the starter up by hand, the starter will not come up all the way into the teeth of the flywheel. Im not sure if its the starter having a problem or the flywheel being out of balance...again I described this to the mercury service center in my area and they thought that the flywheel might be out of balance..

Sunfish12

Petty Officer 1st Class

Try jumping the starter directly and see if it works. You might have a voltage drop that's not giving it quite enough juice.

ufm82

It's in the starter. The starter has two "actions". The bendix is the spiral cut gear that makes the drive gear move up and engage the flywheel ring gear. Then the motor itself turns the flywheel and waa-laa, you are running. If you are getting the bendix to kick the gear up to the flywheel but it won't stay up, your starter motor isn't giving enough oomph to do so. If you hold it up there it works, right? You might even try lubing the bendix- spray some PBlaster or WD in there and try it. The gear should have some very light grease on it but if it is sticky it may do what you are having issues with. If that doesn't help, your starter is the issue. If you have damage or an out-of-round issue with the flywheel enough to not allow the gears to engage you'd have quite the vibration when the engine was running.

Sprky

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ditto on the lube. Hit the bendix with some wd40 like substance.

Ranger1993

Cadet

Thanks everyone who responded. I hit the bendix with w-d last night. Let see if I can get lucky this afternoon. Will let you know...

Ranger1993

Cadet

WD-40 did the trick. Took out all the spark plugs this morning and started to crank the motor. Starter comes up and engages the flywheel without any problems. Thanks!

j_martin

Admiral

. I called a mercury service center and they said the flywheel may not be balanced.

Another ace (usually spelled with a double S) Mercury "mechanic" strikes.

Glad ya got this simple problem resolved.

ufm82

Please send me the address so I can send you the bill. LOL What's that ace's shop rate? And what in the HELL is an unbalanced flywheel???

GenuineRaft

Recruit

WD-40 did the trick. Took out all the spark plugs this morning and started to crank the motor. Starter comes up and engages the flywheel without any problems. Thanks!

I have the exact same issue on a 1995 Mercury 150 hp. I hit the bendix with some WD and it works occasionally/sporadically. When it engages, the motor fires right up and runs great. However, if it sits for a day or so, I'm back to square one. I should also note I am starting it with a new, fully charged battery. At what point do I have to investigate a new starter assembly? Am I there?