Need help with ignition switch mercury 150

kirmy22

Seaman
My ignition switch fell apart , and i need to order a new one, but im having trouble finding a part no. If anyone could help I would be gratefull. The engine is a 1983 mercury black max 150 hp and the serial no is 6424308 it has the push to choke and 6 terminals on it. I didnt know if any of them will work as long as it has the 6 terminals and the push to choke ,or if it has to be a specific part no. Thanks in advance.

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Need help with ignition switch mercury 150

Standard Merc ignition switch will be fine- costs about $30. Ask for the "potted" switch and you'll get the right one. The universal switches like a SeaDog or the like will have terminals on the back. The potted switches have the wires already sealed in the switch and you splice them to your harness. Use waterproof heat shrink terminals when splicing in to prevent corrosion issues down the road. Or solder and shrink-wrap them. If you go to mercurypartsexpress.com and put in your serial number you can find the "correct" part but most marine dealers will stock both style switches.