2000 Mercury 150HP Saltwater Outboard won't start

CAPTAIN DC

Recruit
I have a 2000 Mercury 150HP Saltwater Outboard. It hasn't been started in almost a year. I went to start her up yesterday and she wouldn't turn over. She tried and sputtered once quickly then stopped. She did this a number of times. Only a few times did she sputter more than one quick one before stopping.

Quick background: The boat is trailered. Was used last fall by my wife and friends while and was not winterized. The winter was particularly cold. Unfortunately I was out to sea all winter.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2000 Mercury 150HP Saltwater Outboard won't start

Get a can of Sea Foam spray at your local auto parts store, WW, or where ever.

Pop the cowl and remove any plastic shrouding that preceeds the throats of the carbs. With a fresh battery spray into the carb throats while cranking. If she lights off, get rid of your contaminated fuel, drain your carbs if you can, or if that doesn 't do it, put in new fuel filter, carb kits and all, put in some fresh fuel and I'd include a generous helping of Sea Foam in the pint can (pur it in)...directions on the can but initially you probably want 3x that, then go after starting again.

HTH,

Mark

CAPTAIN DC

Recruit
Re: 2000 Mercury 150HP Saltwater Outboard won't start

Thanks Mark. Went out and bought the Sea Foam. Lowered the engine, removed the cowl, and before I added the Sea Foam, I gave it a try for good measure. Fired right up. Couldn't tell you why it didn't yesterday. Anyway, thanks for advice.

-Duane