78 mercontrol issues

just got a new "old" glastron 188 ssv with mercury 115 outboard. Took it out engine ran strong. As the day went on the throttle lever had to be pushed further forward each time to engage the engine. I had to pull back with a bit of force to get the boat back into neautral. bye the end of the day the boat would not go into reverse. I
took apart the control box. It is a mercontrol. The choke lever and plate it is connnected to works smooth. The throttle forward reverse plate still has a bunch of tension going backwardv"toward" neutral and reverse but i can move it easily forward. I took the engine cover off and the cable seems to slide easy in the slot in the engine. Any thoughts is it a cable issue or do i just need to "push it back so the pin aligns and put it back together?

this is the first time i have done any of this so if you have suggestions. ill take them.

mr 88

Commander
Re: 78 mercontrol issues

Well the box is all metal as are motor relays. So I would take a stab that the cable is shot.They can get frayed on the inside and move easily in one direction but not the other with a load on them.With no load they may move in both directions freely.I would say that the pins should not be moved at this point,they did not just go out of alignment on there own.

grewber

Cadet
Re: 78 mercontrol issues

Easy slide usually indicates broken cable. But I work on telephones so I am not the guru, just sayin from my experience. good luck!