'88 175 Mariner OB water pump system question

apaseman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok,

I went to my local marine repair to talk to them about whay may be causing my Motor to over heat, and I brought them my t-stats, took apart and inspected my poppet valve and replaced the gaskets, and was told to next look at the impeller. I replaced the impeller not too long ago and barely ran the motor since, but he suggested that since my T-Stats were out to go ahead and start the motor with the hose connected and see if i have water coming out where the T-stats go. So, I did this and noticed that water comes out of the port side (left side facing the prop) pretty well, but noticeably less from the starboard (right side facing prop). The right side of the motor was much hotter than the left so I'm guessing this has something to do with it.

So, my question is, what could cause water to come out the left side just fine but not the right? What steps should I take to diagnose this problem? Thanks!

Sunfish12

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: '88 175 Mariner OB water pump system question

You have a clog, try and blast a garden hose down the right stat hole to clear blockage, i would try this with it running and not running.

apaseman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Scratch this, the left (port) side engine block is lower than the starboard side, once I put the T-stat in the port side the water flowed out the starboard side just fine, so I assume that I do not have a block..of course, I am assuming this..so i could be wrong.

Sunfish12

Petty Officer 1st Class

Makes sense. Good find.