1971 Mercury 650 Idle and Throttle/shifting cables

SuperYooper

Cadet
I have two issues right now. The first is when the engine ('71 Mercury 650)idles, it seems to rev up for a bit while sitting there and then comes back down to idle without me even touching the control. I just put in a new switch box/coil pack due to the other one being junk. It fires right without even having to turn over once, but the idle has me curious.

Two: I have an aftermarket throttle control box which I am thinking is not really right. It will throttle the engine up, but will not shift it into gear. On the engine the shift cable hooks onto a "***" in a slider. I am not sure where that slider should be to be considered in gear. I am really afraid something is wrong with the shift rod and the lower unit is going to have to be yanked apart. The slider will come all the way forward (toward the boat) but the engine will not shift into gear. The cable I have is not strong enough when I try to push it into reverse. Do I just need another control box or am I up sh*t creek here?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_W0Q...emZ320740373003QQsspagenameZSTRKQ3aMEWAXQ3aIT

Will the above Mercontrol box be a potential solution? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

merc850

Commander
Re: 1971 Mercury 650 Idle and Throttle/shifting cables

That control box will work but I have seen cheaper ones in better shape on ebay. The shift slider is in neutral midway on the rail and you should not try reverse with the engine not running, it sounds like the shift cam in the LU is not in the right position.
If you take the LU off use these instr. to check and re-install it: Turn the LU shift shaft by hand counter-clockwise until it
stops, then with Vise Grips tight on the bottom of the shaft turn it a
few more degrees CCW until it clicks into a stop, this
should be neutral - check by turning propshaft --
do not shift into reverse unless you turn the propshaft at the same time.
If it is in N go ahead and attach LU to driveshaft housing with control in N.

SuperYooper

Cadet
Re: 1971 Mercury 650 Idle and Throttle/shifting cables

Thanks for the pointers. I will get on that this weekend when I have time and report what I see in the lower unit.

I am just nervous of not being able to put the LU back on correctly. I am all about trial and error though :)