92' 15 Hp handle shift, problem changing water pump

This is a new one (seems like I get one every day anymore) to me. I have changed a lot of water pumps and most just drop off the lower unit and replace the pump. This Mercury 15 hp is a 1992 with handle shift. The shift rod goes through the water pump and is sealed on the shaft. The problem is, the end of the shaft has a shift part that is bigger than the shaft. The shaft doesn't have a coupling to take it apart like some do. This shaft is solid all the way to the shifter just in front of the powerhead. The shift rod has to be down in the lower unit when the pump is assembled and I don't see any way to accomplish this. Can anyone give me an idea? I searched the forums and couldn't find anything related to my problem. It will be quite a job to take the shift rod apart if that is what I have to do. Thanks for any help.

firemedic 249

Recruit
Re: 92' 15 Hp handle shift, problem changing water pump

I just changed my water pump yesterday on a 1991 mercury 15 hp. There is a clip/pin under the power head that is pushed up and pulled out. That is how the linkage is taken out. I found that out by usiin bing and found a post 10 months ago. It is very simple. You will see the linkage connect at that point and will see how the cli/pin is removed. I just used a flat head screw driver to push it up on its tab.

Re: 92' 15 Hp handle shift, problem changing water pump

Thanks, I found the clip and it worked just fine. A word of advise to anyone else reading this, after releasing the clip from the shift rod, replace it to hold the bolt in place until it is time to replace the pin in the shift rod. One more bit of advise, have the lower unit completely unbolted before releasing the shift rod, it will come out easy once the pin is pulled. Good luck