2001 Mercury 115HP Exhaust not going through prop and loss of power

Mullin

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 24' pontoon with a 2001 Mercury 115HP 2-stroke outboard and have a problem.

The exhaust is exiting the motor from the 3 small holes above the water line, just below the motor cover and from (it appears) around the zinc anode in the water. But there is no exhaust coming through the prop.

The motor is still reving up to its normal range, but seems to be 30% slower (sorry no speedo) and has a lack of power.

This is my father's boat and he keeps it in a slip during the summer, I don't know how long this has been going on for. Any ideas of where to start?

j_martin

Admiral
Re: 2001 Mercury 115HP Exhaust not going through prop and loss of power

Any chance you're dealing with zebra mussels?

Mi duckdown

Commander

How do you know that, No exhaust is comming thru the prop?

Mullin

Petty Officer 1st Class

No zebra or quagga muscles in this lake, we are all determined to keep it that way too.

The lake has 10' of visibility, it's very easy to see that there is no exhaust coming from the prop. I even backed it into the slip and raised it up a bit to take a closer look, no exhaust thru-prop.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

The idle relief ports you refer to are there for IDLE RELIEF, as motor speed and exhaust pressure raises the water column in the midsection begins to push down until motor speed and exhaust pressure overcomes the water pressure, then exhaust begins to exit thru the prop.

It may be possible to have an obstruction in the exhaust, but it is more likely that you have a carb or ignition problem reducing power. Start checking the motor by running a compression test and a spark test to ensure the mechanical condition of the motor and ignition.

Repost your findings.