Quicksilver 3000 classic control

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
I'm trying to remove a Mercury Quicksilver 3000 classic control with trim switch in the handle and kill switch attached to the front. Push center button to lock out shifting.

The problem is that I can not remove the handle. There is a slot in the bottom, but I can not find the set screw.

SO: What is the correct way to remove the control handle?

Actually, I would like to re-use this control with an earlier Force engine but cables are incompatible. SO second question is are there control cables made with the Merc control box ends but early Force engine ends?

Thanks in advance.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Quicksilver 3000 classic control

I decided that I am not going to re-use the existing Quicksilver 3000 box. Too much hassle.

So, I really need to know how to remove it.

I promised the guy his boat on Friday so a timely answer is really appreciated.

79Merc80

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Earlier Force engines were U.S.Marine. You would need to find a U.S.Marine control, or maybe even a Chrysler control, orhave a set of cables costom made. Either way, this really should have been posted in the Force/Chrysler forum as they would be the best for mating the 2.

*******************************MOD's, Please move to the Force/Chrysler forum, Thanks*********************************

QC

Supreme Mariner

Huh ^^^ ???

Frank,

If I remember correctly you need a large flathead screwdriver to pry the neutral button out of the hole. May break the tabs that hold the button in, but part of the deal. Then you need a large socket to break the retaining nut loose. Will make sense once you get the button out. Yes do that after you push in the button and move the handle forward.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Hey! A big thanks, QC. I pried off the center button and of course, it did break as you said it would, but that's no big problem. It broke right at the top of the shaft and I can drill for a 4-40 or 6-32 flathead screw to hold it on.

So, I took off the control box. Now, tomorrow, all I need to do is drill a couple of holes to mount the US marine box and wire up the ignition, trim, and kill switches. If they cooperate, a couple of hours work.