1986 50hp merc outboard water issue?

anyquist

Cadet
Hey everyone,

I just bought a used boat and motor from my father. He purchased the boat and motor from ND game a fish about 7 years ago and there it sat in his shop until I bought it from him. I replaced the impeller with an OEM kit that included all new gaskets and "O" rings. Well, everything works and it does pump water. However, it usually takes around 7-10 seconds before water comes out the pee hole. From my experience it shouldn't take that long. This is my first Merc, as all I have owned before this were johnsons. So, is this normal?

To give you more information the motor is a two stroke, four cylinder. I was told that it is actually a 45hp that was built by yamaha for Mercury and labeled as a 50hp. The motor runs great and is in like new condition (maybe 100 hours of run time)

When it does finally start pushing water out the pee hole it has good pressure and is dispersing the heat well. I have heard some motors had thermostats. But, never saw anything that would indicate that this motor has one. Also, research tells me the motor is a bit to old to have had a thermostat.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated! :D

Aaron

dlplost

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1986 50hp merc outboard water issue?

7-10 seconds is normal, remember the waterpump has to fill the waterjacket before it starts to pee.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

I was told that it is actually a 45hp that was built by yamaha for Mercury
That is incorrect. That engine design(Inline 4) has been made by Merc since the 60's and has no "t-stat".

anyquist

Cadet

Thank you both for the quick replies. Good to know about the impeller. My johnsons always pee'd faster. They were smaller motors also 9.5hp and a 25hp. I would see water within a couple seconds, so got a little concerned when it would take around 10 seconds with the Merc.

About the yamaha part. Just curious, did yamaha ever make a motor for Mercury?

thanks