850 85 hp Mercury 1975 won't turn over

allan1966

Cadet
Hi,
Looking for some ideas to checkout why my merc wont turn over. I got this boat and motor as a project boat that had been sitting for 2 years under cover. Was told it ran prior to staorage. I put new plugs and battery in it but when I turn the key.....nothing. I checked the voltage from the battery into the transfer block....had 12 volts. But from there to the starter I had 0 volts. Would the starter be shot? Not sure if the selenoid is part of the starter and if that could be the issue. I did notice the plug wires looked very worn but I'll replace them too and see. Even with the wires worn it should crank over. I can turn it by hand and there is compression. Just wondering is there something I can do before buying a new starter. Any ideas would be so appreciated! Thanks.

Allan
:confused:

merc850

Commander
Re: 850 85 hp Mercury 1975 won't turn over

Make sure the control is in neutral, turn the key and move the handle a little bit it could be the neutral safety switch inside the control box. Jump a wire from the + side of the solenoid (large red wire terminal) to the small side of the solenoid the positive side not the ground and not a yellow wire from the stator. In the diagram it's the yellow wire. Here's a diagram to help youwiring diagram.jpg you can check the plug wires with an Ohmmeter by removing the dist. cap and measuring inside the boot to a terminal in the cap, reading should be close to 0. You'll have to replace the waterpump impeller if the motor has been sitting so long and change the LU lube too.