1966 Mercury 650: Length of SKEG, how long is it supposed to be?

Mercproject

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1966 Mercury 650. Purchased used, it had the bottom bit of the skeg broken. I evened out the bottom and couldn't help but wonder, how much is missing.

I measured 14" from the anti-cavitation plate (right term? - the horizontal part of the lower gear case) to the bottom of the skeg.

Anyone out here with a 1966, or so, 650 can measure a whole one for me?

Thanks
Andy K

Getting it ready for primer and paint.
Double click the picture for "the big picture"

IMG_7263.jpg

Last edited:

merc850

Commander
Re: 1966 Mercury 650: Length of SKEG, how long is it supposed to be?

If you can post a side view pic. with tape measure beside LU, someone can tell you.

chrome dome

Petty Officer 1st Class

dunno whether this will help you but the measurement on our 1964 650 is 15 inches at the deepest point, just in front of the prop,

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It needs to be at least as deep as a blade on your prop. That is what it is for, to protect the prop.

I strongly recommend something that won't break off like the original. I used Stainless Steel SkegGard. They can take a lot bigger hit than the original and survive with maybe a little scratch.

Mercproject

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks to everyone for the replies - I appreciate it.

If the job of the skeg is to protect the prop, I'm good by 3/8", I know its cutting it close! (no pun intended).

It should be good for this year - just concentrating on getting it back in the water, then I will decide what to do with it, (based on replies here) over the winter.