2003 Mercury 9.9 FourStroke smoking.

alandchris

Petty Officer 2nd Class
2003 Mercury 9.9 Fourstroke motor - not used this year, was started a few times last year - but did not go in the water. Put a small garbage can under the motor, filled with water and started with no problem. Idled well, pisshole water coming out very well and was not hot. It smoked for a while, but seemed to get better - after about 5 minutes I stopped the motor and noticed small oil 'globs' floating in the garbage can and the inside lining on top of the can was black. Not sure if it's a normal exhaust but seems odd. It did get better the second time starting it and there was less smoke and floating globs. I do remember my kid moving the motor 2 years ago from a standing position to on it's side - although I don't recall what side it was laying on, and I hear it should only be on one side and not the other... Any ideas or advice of what I'm looking at ?

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: 2003 Mercury 9.9 FourStroke smoking.

First check the oil level, if high then check the fuel pump diaphragm, is could be leaking, raising the oil level and causing the oil/fuel mixture to blow out the crankcase breather and into the carb.

If the oil level is slightly low, he laid it on the wrong side, oil leaked out into the breather and is sucking thru the carb.

Look carefully at the sides of the motor, one side should have two small 'nubs', feet, that's the 'down' side for storage.

alandchris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In either case, what does it mean for the motor in the sense of remedy. If the oil level his high, lower the oil level, clean the fuel pump diagram, let the rest of the oil burn off ?

or if the oil level is low, add more oil and change the breather ?

I'm pretty sure that I did check the oil and it was a little "high" on the level.

alandchris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thx for any more help ?

Last edited: