heelp with 2001 Mercury 50hp 2 stroke constant warning tone

poolio

Cadet
I have a 2001 Mercury 50 HP, 3 cylinder 2 stroke. I have a steady warning tone with the key in the running position, even if I have not ran the engine in a few days. Motor is peeing very well when on. Oil tank is full.

Anyone have any ideas, or past experience with a stuck warning module maybe?

Thanks for any help at all.
-P

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: heelp with 2001 Mercury 50hp 2 stroke constant warning tone

Only thing I can think of is that you have a pinched wire (tan on my engine) or a shorted over temp sensor. Find the temp sensor....mine is plumbed into the rear of the exhaust manifold to sense the water temp there. It has a tan or a tan/blue stripe wire coming from it. Follow it to a junction and unplug it. If the horn quits, your sensor is shorted.

Mark

poolio

Cadet

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

poolio

Cadet

No such luck. Unplugged the brown wire with a blue stripe coming out of middle of manifold and it still had the warning beep. I'll run the wires down on the motor and under the dash to check for any loose connections.

poolio

Cadet

can't seem to find any wiring issues, but ill keeep digging tomorrow. Alsso, is there a warning module, or do the wires just go from sensor to horn, like a switch? Thanks for the help so far!

poolio

Cadet

Okay, so I traced the wire and replaced the entire wire from sensor to horn and the problem went away. Anyone know how hot the sensor has to be before it will start beeping. I heated up some water in the microwave to the piont of boiling and put the sensor in it and it did not beep.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

closes at 195F reopens at 175F tstat opening temp 143F

poolio

Cadet

Thanks for all of the help, Texas! I think I'm going to stick with replacing the whole wire and just cut my losses.

electricjohn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Temp sensor must be grounded to complete circuit when testing. The beeper is fed with +12 volts and the sensors complete the circuit to ground (-12 volts) when activated.

poolio

Cadet

OOOOOOOOH, that makes sense, I'll give the test a shot. Thanks!